tile on tile

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by retiredsparks, Sep 18, 2018.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Talks the talk...

2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

If you want to keep within a tight budget, then removing the tiles then filling any problem areas with a quick going over of browning and re-tiling with 'bumpy whites', or similar, is the way to go. The 'going over' need not be to a pro plasterers standards as it will all be covered with the tiles.
    Seen as your labour is actually 'free' (bar the compulsory feed and watering) what is their materials budget?

retiredsparks likes this.
  3. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I can't remember the last time I saw a bag of 'browning', got to be over ten years ago, only ever see 'hardwall' these days which I assumed was the same stuff, although I note browning is still advertised.
    But I agree, I've stripped off several bathrooms and the customers have returned home horrified to see patches of bare brickwork. A good vacuum off and a wetting, several buckets of hardwall and it's good to go.

longboat likes this.
  4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Trouble in't'mill.
    The c/j's are arguing.
    A homage to a comedy genius there.

5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

I agree but they have literally just moved in on saturday and seem to be broke.
    I guessed 100 quid for new tiles and adhesive and edges...but they asked me to take off bottom row and refix for the time being.
    It's a house of horrors.
    RS

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Not sure that ‘browning’ is recomended to tile over as it’s an Undercoat plaster. Same as bonding

Maybe ok if just patches but ?

Anyway, clean old tiles with silicon and stick new tiles on with meths ...... or is that the other way round ?

Sorry not sure, hope this is helpful ;)

7. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

If its that bad, I'd be duck-taping some bin bags to the walls.
    You could however sort it all out for them as a kind of moving in present. ;)

8. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Took bottom row off.....THREE previous layers of tiles underneath..hollow sounding....some falling off.
    Bath now wobbly.....40mm gap at one end away from wall.
    Back started playing up....so called a builder friend to pop in saturday....foam under and to the side and fix new row of tiles.
    i will grout and silli when dry.
    Needs a complete rip out and replaster full wall and retile.
    Next year....but not by me.
    Getting too old for all that malarky.
    RS

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Show your love.