tiled architrave

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Jay459, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

My bathroom walls will be tiled right to the ceiling, just curious if i should reinstall architrave or tile all of it and finish off with tile trim...

Anyone done this or have a picture to show me?

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

What do you mean, tiled to ceiling and architrave, what have they to do with each other.???

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Think perhaps you mean ‘coving’ ?

Architrave generally is the trim that goes around door frames (may have other uses, dunno)

If you want coving then go for it, fit cove 1st then tile up to it

If not, tile right up to ceiling. Plan everything 1st though before you set a single tile

Plan where the cuts will be, around windows, doors, basins, anything that gets in the way of a straight run

See what size tile your gonna have top and bottom of wall and likely to need cut tiles, if possible even out cuts top and bottom. Ending up with a sliver of tile looks awful

Be aware that the ceiling probably won’t be dead level, same as floor, so take this into account when setting out

Tile up to ceiling, grout then finish with a neat bead of silicon between wall/ceiling junction

A grout line alone will more than likely crack after a while

Plan everything before starting, and take into account tile size and again where cut tiles fall

You may have a tile and size in mind but in reality, won’t look great due to where cuts work out

Plan, plan, plan and then plan some more - especially if this is a diy job

A good pro tiler can eye ball a room and pretty much have this info worked out in the time it takes you to make him a cuppa

So, architrave or coving ? :)

4. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

I thought he might have done, but then he mentioned tile trim and that threw me again. ??

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If its a very modern bathroom and using chrome flat trim etc then this can look good around door instead of architrave.

longboat and Jord86 like this.
  6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Plus one bud.

CGN likes this.
  7. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Yep thats how i want to finish, tight to door frame with flat chrome trim, no wooden architrave....Should the tile trim be screwed down or just adhesive

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Just adhesive is fine.