Tiled floor query

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by MisterGamgee, Nov 26, 2021.

1. MisterGamgee

MisterGamgee New Member

I’ve posted on another section about this particular builder I have recently encountered problems with.

He tiled my hall (or rather one of his minions did) two months ago. The grout is light in some places and in others it is much much darker. I can only assume it was mixed incorrectly. He has said he will rectify this but hasn’t.

My question is how can this be rectified? I spent a lot of money of these tiles and am worried any amendments will cause damage and I will have to pay out again. I am already about to enter a wrangle with him about other shoddy jobs he has done/not finished for me.

My understanding is that it cannot be grouted over and will need to be completely done? Thank you in advance of any advice or replies.

2. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Possibly down to incorrect mixing alright, how bad is it? If its really bad and needs to be fixed then its probably gonna have to be removed and re grouted. A real balls of a job

3. MisterGamgee

MisterGamgee New Member

Thank you for replying.
    Forgot to also mention that there are huge dips in the grouting in places as well as the inconsistent colour throughout.

So it does all need to be removed first? Great

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Can you post some photos up?

5. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

If really depends on how bad it is, there are options out there to darken/lighten grout colour.

6. MisterGamgee

MisterGamgee New Member

I hear you but why should I faff about when it should’ve been done properly in the first place? Highly unlikely problematic builder will do it now.

Here’s some examples of the dipping, there are loads of these all over the hall.

Attached Files:

7. MisterGamgee

MisterGamgee New Member

Have done. Thanks.

8. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

No you're right it should have been done right from day one. Whats the builders attitude?

9. MisterGamgee

MisterGamgee New Member

Well, all the work I paid him for was a two week job...that was three months ago. He’s been unreliable and says he will do it but the usual excuses that it’s costing him money and time etc etc. So 3 months on my house is still unfinished and means I will be doing the jobs I needed to do after the tiling in the new year now. Given my post on the carpentry forum about his other work it looks like I will be asking for my money back now or taking legal action tbh. I can’t abide his shoddy work or attitude anymore!

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Sloppy, coupled with your other post if he won't redo things to the standard you've paid for then bin him off and look to recover costs.

11. MisterGamgee

MisterGamgee New Member

Exactly what I plan to do - either he reimburses us or we take it further.