Tiles aren’t level, is this acceptable?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by GoldenArches, Dec 6, 2021.

1. GoldenArches

GoldenArches Member

[​IMG]
    hi, me again.
    I had some tiles and from afar they look ok but close up, not so much. I haven’t been able to walk on them so I can only touch as much as I can reach to.
    Am I over reacting?

The floor is concrete and he put a sheet down, from a roll, so not Jackoboard but durobase.

The spaces are really easy to remove and he’s not used any of the wedges.

I’ve seen his work online (Instagram) and they appear to be fab. He’s had customers post from their own account with pics as well, so I believe to be genuine. Card got from ToppsTiles.

Took him 4ish hours to do.

Advise much appreciated

2. GoldenArches

GoldenArches Member

3. JimTiler

JimTiler Member

The lippage doesn’t look too good imho, British Standards state grout joints under 6mm there should be no more that 1mm lippage.

Is this a bathroom floor or kitchen floor? Was the floor “levelled” before tiling?

4. GoldenArches

GoldenArches Member

Kitchen, concrete.

i don’t know what levelling means. I think he just put down that sheet and then the tile adhesive. Started at 9 and finished by 1.

5. JimTiler

JimTiler Member

Before tiling you need to check the existing subfloor, concrete, to see how flat and level it is. If it’s not it needs to be sorted by adding a self levelling compound.
    After this you would add the anti fracture matting such as Ditra if needed and then tile.

GoldenArches likes this.
  6. GoldenArches

GoldenArches Member

No floor is level?

7. JimTiler

JimTiler Member

Very rarely, almost always need a coat of slc before tiling.
    Makes tiling a much easier process and you don’t end up with a job such as you have been left with.

GoldenArches likes this.
  8. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Second picture has cracked tile

9. GoldenArches

GoldenArches Member

Just a hair

10. GoldenArches

GoldenArches Member

I can’t be sure he didn’t use SLC. The area is about 2.5 square. How long would have that taken him to do? As I wrote before, he finished in four hours.

The spacers are really easy to remove, is that a bad sign?

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Forget the spirit levels, forget the floor being not 100% level, certainly forget how long or short it took him, get the tiler to change the tile in the photo after the video where it's dipped down and get him to clean the tiles and grout it then see how much better it looks.

Jiml86 likes this.
  12. GoldenArches

GoldenArches Member

The issue is that there are a lot of them like it. It’s not just one area.
    It looks fine from afar but it’s just when I will walk on it… and possibly the grout will make it stand out?

13. GoldenArches

GoldenArches Member

I don’t know if I should let him continue or just sack it of? I’m not paying the amount he asked.

14. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

Show us a picture of the overall floor. If you pop a level down on lots of tiled floors you'll get a little wobble. The pictures either side of the video need a tile replacing alright.

15. GoldenArches

GoldenArches Member

It looks fine overall. It’s just the tiles are generally all over the place where the corners meet. Surely they should be somewhat level?

Attached Files:

16. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

You're right they should and the two pics where they dip down should be replaced but it looks OK generally. When its grouted it will look even better. Discuss it with the tiler and try come to an agreement

GoldenArches likes this.
  17. GoldenArches

GoldenArches Member

Thanks. Spoke to him and did as suggested above.

18. GoldenArches

GoldenArches Member

He didn’t use a leveller and also he removed about 12 tiles (the only spares I had).

One tile is bouncy/wobbly. Will the grouting sort that out?

Anything else I need to know?

19. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

no. Grout won’t sort a bouncy tile. All that will happen is the grout will come out

GoldenArches likes this.