Tiles keep coming loose

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Robot Enthusiast, Feb 18, 2023.

1. Robot Enthusiast

Robot Enthusiast Active Member

Hi All,

Last year we had our path tiled with black and white tiles. It looks great. But, the tiles keep coming loose and you can hear it when walking on them. The tiles are set with a sweep rather than a grout. What are the options for making this right preventing more tiles from coming loose? Thanks.

2. Robot Enthusiast

Pictures below.

Attached Files:

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I fear they're not stuck down properly assuming they were laid on a screed or concrete sub-base. Were they primed before they were laid?

The lack of grouting is letting water in which is lifting the tiles when it freezes but that isn't the root cause of the problem.

Astramax and Robot Enthusiast like this.
  4. Robot Enthusiast

Yes, the original path was concrete and reasonable condition. They used this as a base and laid on top of it. They guy has proposed to remove all the loose sweep and tiles and relay them with fresh cement and sweep between the tiles. But then then seal it with a clear type resin that they use on driveways? He says this will fix all the loose tiles and make them look as should with the sweep used as a grout but sealed with a clear resin that won't allow water though.

5. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Nonsense. Will probably last until he’s got back in his van and disappeared. The cutting and finishing on that path tells me he doesn’t do this regularly. It’s awful. If he can’t get that right then he won’t have known how to do the rest I’d warrant. Inappropriate tiles, adhesives, primers could be a lot of reasons. I would lay money on all of that coming loose in time in afraid. Lift and relay is the real answer but whether you want to go down that route is up to you and him to agree. Driveway sealant might buy a bit of time but it’s not the answer.

Robot Enthusiast likes this.
  6. Robot Enthusiast

Thanks. Do you mean lift and relay all tiles or just the loose ones? Are you opposed to the use of sweep over grout?

7. Truckcab79

Long term it’s most likely they all need to come up. The chances of just a few being badly prepped is slim. Possible he’s used adhesive when it’s been mixed up too long but if you’re talking multiple tiles and you say ‘keep coming loose’ after just a year then it’s a prep or application issue and it’ll likely only get worse.

You can take him up on the offer but I think you’ll get a short term solution. I’m not aware of any product that magically sticks down poorly applied tiles. At best you’re going to get a band-aid and he’ll cross his fingers that he’s got away with it.

As I said in my earlier post the quality of cutting and laying, notably on the borders tells me he isn’t proficient or knowledgeable at this.

Got a picture of the back of a tile that’s come up, and the floor below it?

8. Robot Enthusiast

Here is a picture of one of the tiles that first came loose and remains unfixed.

Attached Files:

9. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

No it doesn’t.

108B15AA-2BB2-44CD-B7A0-4757DDE0D38A.jpeg

10. Robot Enthusiast

That may be worst area, yes. I accept that doesn't look great.

11. Truckcab79

All the edge cuts are awful, and the edges kick up by the look of it.
    That lifted tile looks to have been primed as far as I can tell I that photo. Difficult to tell about the base as the resolution isn’t great so on my screen it looks like a load of sand which I’m sure it isn’t. Someone has obviously tried to stick that one back with ‘no more nails’ which isn’t going to work.

The ‘grout’ isn’t grout. It looks like resin ‘brush in’ pointing usually used for patios. Never seen that on a tiled path before. Cr@p job all round I’m afraid. He isn’t up to sorting it for you I can tell you that much.

gadget man and Robot Enthusiast like this.
  12. Truckcab79

In general yes. I don’t like the look of it and generally guide clients away from it. Maybe on a modern porcelain patio. Horrible on anything else. I also replace it regularly for clients as it breaks up so easily, but in fairness normally as a result of poor application. It has absolutely no place whatsoever on a tiled path.

13. James Mulvenna

James Mulvenna New Member

Moving forward you can try cleaning the tile backs and substrate then priming both in SBR Admix I would then relay the loose tiles in wet Jetcem(rapid set) Its worth a try.

14. Robot Enthusiast

Okay, that is a good shout. I could lift all the loose tiles, scrape out all loose sweep and then do as you say to relay the tiles. I guess there is potential for future tiles to come loose but might be worth a try.

15. Robot Enthusiast

I was not aware of that. I suppose it makes sense as the rain and standing water can likely seep through the sweep and affect the tiles bond and fix.

16. Robot Enthusiast

Thanks. Appreciate the honest response. I suppose I could life all the tiles and relay attempt to rely them and then apply a black grout. Could be a tricky job but probably not impossible for a basic DIY soul like me.