Tiles leaking water in bath and shower?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by legepe, Apr 5, 2020.

1. legepe

legepe Member

Hi all...
    Tiled 2 bathrooms with same tiles n both are leaking water n tiles have come away from walls (See attached pics)
    One with bath n overhead shower
    One with quadrant shower
    Tiles are of a porcelain type
    I used pre mixed tile cement (suitable for bathrooms)
    I did not put spacers between tiles
    The grout is cracking and letting in water
    Have I properly cocked up with this job and if so what have I done wrong?
    Can any one suggest an easy fix so that I don't have to rip everything out OR is this my only option to start over again...?!
    Thanks for any advice
    legepe

Attached Files:

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Ready mixed adhesive ,beige colour ,is useless on porcelain tiles. You need a cementitious ,flexible adhesive . And waterproof grout.
    You don't have any alternative if tiles are falling off the wall , but to remove and re do. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

legepe and Jord86 like this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yes, unfortunately you have properly cocked both these jobs up and the tiles need to be taken off and relaid with the proper methods and materials.

legepe and terrymac like this.
  4. legepe

legepe Member

If I leave attached any tiles that have adhered to wall and are not falling off and replace all others with the correct adhesive then re grout everything with waterproof grout... do you think it will be ok.. or do I need to take off everything and start from scratch?

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I suspect you would continue to have other tiles coming loose and would be wasting your time.

legepe likes this.
  6. legepe

legepe Member

Thanks for your advice.. just one more question I guess... the problem was not made worse by me not leaving space between the tiles then?

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Quite possibly ,if you do not use spacing between tiles ,then you are not allowing for expansion ,and sufficient depth for proper grouting.

Jord86 and legepe like this.
  8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yes it was, for the reasons terry described, the grout can’t get into the gaps sufficiently and perform its waterproofing properties, it just stays on the surface ultra thin and cracks allowing water to seep through.

legepe likes this.
  9. MalcyB

MalcyB Active Member

What is the surface behind the tiles? Plasterboard/block with plaster?

legepe likes this.
  10. legepe

legepe Member

Its a mix, mainly solid wall plastered apart from one which is stood wall

11. MalcyB

MalcyB Active Member

You really could do with tanking it first then. Mainly the shower areas.
    Then you need a bagged flexible addy. Otherwise the tiles will slide off the walls with being porcelain.
    Use a 2 or 3mm spacer for the tiles. I think 2mm would look best.
    Also use a flexible grout, but make sure you take all the spacers out before.
    And leave a 2/3 mm gap at the bottom, between the bottom tile and the bath/shower tray. This is for the sealant.
    Use sealant for the corners, not grout.

legepe likes this.