Tiling advice

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by CAZWA, May 24, 2018.

1. CAZWA

CAZWA New Member

Hi folks

I need some advice regarding a tiling job I had done earlier this year in my bathroom.

One of the tiles is chipped and I have contacted the tiler about this and he is going to fix it, however it is a tile which is in a row finished with tile trim and also edges a bath so could be a tricky job? The tiler really should have noticed this before applying it to the wall, it's pretty noticeable. Also I think that perhaps the tiler selected the wrong trim?? (correct me if I'm wrong) but the finish looks poor. I appears (only) ok from a distance but on closer inspection pretty poor.

Should the tiler have continued the tiles further along the wall in order to prevent the trim from ending on top of the bath but down to the skirting? Also should a straight edge instead of a curved trim have been used for a neater finish?

I've attached pictures (not sure if I've done this properly, so hoping you can see them).

Thanks in advance for any advice . . . . comments etc. Am I being too fussy?

Attached Files:

2. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Doesn't look particularly neat, but could do with more photos, with s couple zoomed out to give context

3. CAZWA

CAZWA New Member

OK will take some zoomed out photos later so that you can see some context. Thanks

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

That was done by a someone passing himself off as a professional tiler?
    I'm sure all the real professional tilers on this forum would agree that this is a disgrace ... my dog would have finished things off better than that!
    I know there are some really excellent tradespeople who contribute with hugely useful wisdom on this forum, but the OP's photos are exactly why I am so glad to be a competent DIYer.
    I certainly use tradespeople to do the things I am no good at, or that I hate, but I have been burned too many times by people who claim to be professionals but who clearly don't have a clue.

tore81, KIAB and Pollowick like this.
  5. CAZWA

CAZWA New Member

Hi there, sorry it's been so long since my last post, got waylaid by the sunshine to focus on garden.

I am finally uploading pics to give context to the work done. Quad1 and 2 should give context to the quadrant trim ending at the bath. I think straight edge trim should have been used (not that I'm an expert) as I believe that this would have given a neater finish, especially for where the trim meets the rim of the bath, anyway I'm not going to the hassle of getting that changed, I simply want to know how I can go about giving it a neater finish.

Also attached are pix of the same trim meeting the basin top, would similarly like to know how to neatly finish the trim ends. Your advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Basin1.PNG Basin2.PNG Quad1.PNG Quad2.PNG

6. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Just lack of attention to detail really.
    Poor layout/cutting, clumsy siliconing etc etc.

7. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Also he cannot paint or use filler!:(

8. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Best to cut out the silicone seal on the outer edges of the cubicle and re-fill with frame sealant that can be over painted to get nice crisp painted lines.