Tiling behind radiator

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Muzungu, Apr 16, 2018 at 8:49 AM.

1. Muzungu

Muzungu Member

Radiator's off the wall; would you tile the whole wall then attach brackets with fixings through the tile and board, seems to me the way to go rather than tiling around brackets?

Wall: 12.5mm plasterboard, battens, brick.
    Radiator: 1200*450
    Tiles: 8mm 250*400 ceramic.

Any advice on fixings would be good.

Thanks all.

2. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Well-Known Member

I would remove brackets and tile - it's always neater. And easier.

Fixings? Whatever is currently used, provided you are happy with them.

I like the metal expanding type which remain in place after fitting. I hate toggles or other silly things that fall away.

Choose the correct length to suit the additional thickness.

(Are the existing fixings the 'permanent' type? Are they secure? If so, take datum lines from the skirting so that you can relocate them exactly after the tiles are in place. Consider even drilling the access holes in the tiles before fitting - make them slightly oversize to allow 'play').

KIAB likes this.
  3. Muzungu

Muzungu Member

Thanks for that, Apologies, should have said that this will be a new radiator so will be starting afresh with new fixings and brackets but thanks for the head's up on fixings.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Active Member

Definitely tile the whole wall first and then add the radiator after grouting and grout sealing.

5. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Active Member

If by that you mean a replacement, rather than putting a radiator where there hasn't been one before, you might want to consider how far away from the wall the existing pipework is... If the rad is going to be quite low on the wall the the pipework might end up leaning foward... it will work ok but can look unsightly.

Obviously, if there is no rad there at the moment and it's all going to be new pipework then ignore my concern!

Good luck,

Regards,
    Cando