Tiling directly onto floorboards

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Leeds_76, Jan 22, 2023.

1. Leeds_76

Leeds_76 Member

I am attempting to replace a couple of cracked tiles in the kitchen. I have taken up the tiles and put down 6mm no more ply however when I dry laid the tiles on top there was a lip of about 5mm along one edge. The tiles are laid on backer board so I’m at a loss as to how this lippage has come about. My only option now I feel is to tile directly onto the floorboards with a thick bed in places to build it up. Would this be a wise decision or are there other options?

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Never ideal to tile directly onto floorboards but you’ll get away with it if the rest of the floor is solid as they can’t really move. How have you ended up with 5mm? Is the ply in just the area where you’re trying to replace tiles. What’s the rest of the floor laid on?

3. Leeds_76

Leeds_76 Member

I’m really not sure. To be honest the tilers haven’t done the best job. They’ve backer boarded the floor but not levelled it so there is lippage on multiple other tiles around the kitchen.
    I thought it would be a straightforward job. The rest are laid onto cement backer board.
    Underneath that is mostly floorboards with a small concrete section.
    It’s two full tiles and two 1/3rd cuts that I’ve removed in total.
    Would a thicker bed be ok to get the tiles level. I imagine at the shallower end it’ll be a 10mm bed the thick end around 15mm

4. Truckcab79

Yea. Not ideal but in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t make much difference if they haven’t done a great job overall.

10-15mm won’t be an issue. If you can then use a cement based adhesive (a powdered one you mix yourself). If you use the tubbed stuff expect to be dead from old age long before it sets.

If you have time then mix a little up and use it to half-fill the space and let it go off. Then tile as normal. Just means less ‘squish’ and mess if you try to do it in one go and have put too much in.

5. Leeds_76

Leeds_76 Member

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking about doing. Would flexible adhesive be a better option over standard?

6. Truckcab79

If you have to buy some buy flexible. It can’t hurt.

7. Leeds_76

Leeds_76 Member

I’ve already bought standard adhesive thinking I would be tiling onto backer board. I could exchange it though for flexible

8. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Most tiling shops will sell your damaged bag of tile adhesive for 50p or a pound.
    I make the most if that whenever I have a small amount of tiling to do. It's likely to be a whole lot fresher than any leftover bags you may have been storing for ' a rainy day '.

9. Truckcab79

Let me know where you’re shopping. I pay about £25 for a bag of Mapei. Wish I could find someone selling it for 50p.

Jord86 likes this.
  10. JimTiler

JimTiler Active Member

You should only be paying £15 tops for a quality adhesive really.

CGN likes this.
  11. Truckcab79

I’m exaggerating a bit but I definitely pay more than 50p. :D