Tiling floating timber floor

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by dangerousdistress, Jun 21, 2007.

1. dangerousdistress

dangerousdistress New Member

Hi guys,

I just had a new extension built including a kitchen approx 5x4m with a floating timber floor - Chipboard on cellutex. As with all these things there is slight "play" in the chipboard when walked on. I am thinking of tiling the floor and I realise that I have to overboard with WBP ply. The question is:

what thickness of ply and am I still likely to encounter problems of cracked tiles.

Also what Adhesive would you reccomend for porcelain tiles.

2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Ther will really be too much movement even if overboarded.

Best option is to lift the chipboard & celotex, fix battens of equal depth to the celotex at 400 centers screwed to the concrete subfloor. Cut the celotex to fit between battens and then reboard with 25mm ply.

If you were thinking of tiling the floor you should have put the right thing down at the time.

Jason

3. lojo

lojo New Member

Dont do it!

I have seen this done (not by us) and been paid to put it right. Most tiles had come away from the chipboard (floating over insulation slabs), the customer spent hours hacking rapid set off the back and edges of the tiles in an effort to keep down the number of new tiles he had to buy.

4. lojo

lojo New Member

I assume you have a solid oversite which the insulation is laid on?

Also is the BCO still involved, if so be sure he is happy with anything you do

You could;

Take it all up and put a treated timber joist frame down around the thickness of the insulation (method will depend on how good the surface is)

Cut insulation in the voids and ply deck it

5. dangerousdistress

Thanks lojo and Jason B.

As I feared.

When we started the extension, I asked the builder to ensure a solid screed in the kitchen. However, on the day that they put in the beam and block, he set it too high to enable adequate insualation and a 60mm screed. Hence the floating floor. Blder assured me that if we were to lay 22mm ply onto the floor and glue and screw it would be okay, but I did have my doubts - now confirmed.

Lifting and relaying not a pleasant thought at this stage so I guess I will have to go with Karndean or a engineered timber finish!!

Jasonb - I konw you have fitted numerous kitchens. How does timber fair in this environment.

6. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Its fine ...

.....Until you get a leak!!! or drag an appliance out and scratch it.

Jason

7. dangerousdistress

Thought as much!!

It looks as if the only solution will be Karndean.

Thanks Jason