Tiling garage floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by alteredpanic, Oct 10, 2018.

1. alteredpanic

alteredpanic Member

Constructive feedback on this one please. My garage floor is about 20m2 and is attached to the house and so I want it to look semi presentable. It is also actually used to store cars when they no longer needed for the day and so isnt full of junk and rubbish like lots of them are. I am debating a few options. The concrete is too rough to epoxy over and, despite being down there since the 1980s, is still dusty. The walls have been painted white, its got decent lighting in there, integral door has been replaced with a decent FD30 one. At the moment, its got old carpet in there, from the 80s or 90s looking at its horrific floral arrangements. I want to replace it, so from what I can tell, my options are as follows:

1 - More carpet
    2- Epoxy
    3- Plastic tiles (like duramat etc)
    4 - Ceramic tiles on a solid bed

More carpet would just be horrid, so thats out. Epoxy would require the entire flooring to be levelled out andt would be one of the most expensive options. So I am torn between the last two options.

Duramat - I like the idea of warmth and insulation, however it would cost the rich side of £500 quid for this and I hear mixed reviews.

I can tile it for about half of that (using 600x600), on a full bed of mortar using tiles directly from manufacturers as I have a friend in the business. I do work on my cars occassionally (but as they are both japanese, they rarely need much doing to them), so aware that I risk them cracking if I decide to drop something heavy onto them.

So, thoughts please - is there anything crazy or really stupid about tiling a garage floor, seeing that its one of the cheapest options for me. It would tidy it up and make it look a bit better (im thinking of selling points - most ppl dont touch garages, and for a petrol head like me, it would be a selling point if I was looking)

2. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

How rough is rough? Can't you seal it to stop the dust and use something like ronseal garage floor paint, also someone I know painted their damp garage floor with a grey tanking slurry, as scabby as their floor was it now looks pretty decent, and obviously protects against rising damp in the slab. Just a thought.

3. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

4. alteredpanic

alteredpanic Member

Thanks guys - its pretty rough overall, with quite a few holes (albeit not very big) in some places which I was planning on just filling in with cement anyway, but it is level at least.. That coloured screed looks intruiging. How hard is that stuff to lay? I see I need a primer, so would the epoxy primer be the only primer I would need?

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

I think you'd find that it would be a selling point for only a small fraction of a percent of any potential buyers.

Speaking for myself, I would indeed notice that the floor was tiled, but tiles are a matter of taste far more than, say, a garage floor paint.
    If I liked the tiles, I'd be neutral about them (as in I wouldn't pay any extra for them and it certainly wouldn't be a deciding factor in favour of the house).
    However, if I didn't like the tiles, I'd consider it a reasonably significant negative, in that I'd either have to learn to ignore them, or I'd have to bite the bullet and get rid of them and replace them with some other floor covering of my choice.

alteredpanic and Richard_ like this.
  6. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

Wow, that coloured screed is dazzlingly glossy.

I see the examples are domestic interiors. I'd double check what it was like for hot tyre pick up, ie when you drive away and find a bald patch where your warm tyres stuck to the floor the night before, especially if the substrate is weak.

I have that problem in our garage due to powdery concrete even after trying stabilising magic liquid and epoxy resin. I end up with flakes of paint with a mm of powdery concrete on the underside. It doesn't matter how good the covering is if the substrate fails.

The most effective solution has been placing vinyl offcuts over the bald spot where each tyre sits.

7. alteredpanic

alteredpanic Member

Thats true - bit of a double edged sword isnt it. Either goes in your favour or goes against it.

I also dont want to be constantly repairing, or worrying about paint or resin lifting. I think I will just go with the duramat kind of flooring. Can be ripped up easily if needs be and will at least tidy the garage up more better than if I just left it as old carpet which is starting to smell a bit.

8. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

It is a small garage at 20m2, and would nearly be cheaper to replace the concrete floor.
    Pity it couldn’t be raised?

9. Richard_

Richard_ Active Member

You could hire a floor grinder and get rid of that surface laitance. Then you'll have a hard surface that will be perfect for any finish. It's a very dusty job so max out on PPE.

I'm curious how those mats will work if you drive over them, do they lift and move around?