Tiling help please

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Tea or Coffee, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Tea or Coffee

Tea or Coffee New Member

Hi
    So I have wallpaper on the bathroom wall I want to tile. So once I strip that back to the plaster what next?

1 Do I need a primer?
    2 By the shower over the bath, do I need a certain tile adhesive I am confused by thin set, thickset, mortar e.t.c
    3 the walls a not to level so will have to be liberal when needed to level up.

Many Thanks for your help

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Get your walls flat, level, square, etc. before you fit your first tile ... otherwise you'll waste a huge amount of time trying and failing to get all the tiles appearing like they're all in the same plane. The shinier the tiles, the worse it will look.
    Don't think that you'll be able to get it all right with different thicknesses of tile adhesive.

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Actually, you can. Using cement based adhesive I have regularly taken out up to 10mm of wall non-flatness. Roger is right though, with large shiny tiles you do have to get them installed absolutely flat. My own method with large format is to batten the wall at the lowest full tile level, install a row then use a straight edge off the first row up and around the wall to check the depth of adhesive. You can tweak that first row if necessary if you need to adjust the bed thickness up the wall.

when solid, that first row becomes the reference for the rest of the wall, so it is important to get it spot on. The batten can be removed and the lowest row can be cut down to the skirt/shower tray or whatever.