Tiling into internal corners

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Blackstar, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Blackstar

Blackstar Member

Hi, once again !

Do you butt the tiles up to each other in a internal corner, or is it a 2mm gap to match the rest ?
    Does this look ok, there is a slight gap, but its less than 2mm ?

Thanks once again.

Attached Files:

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Leave a gap similar to the gaps elsewhere; otherwise the grout you apply risks falling off the shiny surface of the tiles in the future. At least by leaving a gap, the grout that's visible is bonded with the grout in the gap, so far less likely to fall off, crack, or disintegrate.

3. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

alternative is to run a thin bead of silicone down the corner to match the grout colour

koolpc likes this.
  4. Mr MBA

Mr MBA New Member

Personally I would leave the same gap spacing as the rest but in the corner I would run a bead of silicone

5. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

It’s personal taste really but use silicone in corners not grout

6. CosD

CosD Active Member

BAL make silicon in dozens of colours so you can match your grout colour.....

7. LEH

LEH Active Member

Leave a gap and then colour matched silicone for internal corners

8. Blackstar

Blackstar Member

Thanks for all the the reply's,

im doing a grey grout, would it be grout or silicone between Wall and floor...not sure if it should be 2 or 3mm gap between wall and floor though ?

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Any junction between two different substrates will crack over time if just grouted

So, tile to doorframe, tile to ceiling, tile to floor, tile to window sill, and corners of walls if any chance of movement - plasterboard / stud walls, etc

Better to silicone these areas but think about colour matching sili to tiles and grout - it doesn’t have to be white !

Loads of sili colours available
    Just a few available from our hosts but loads more available online

Thing is with silicone, it’s gotta be super neat and tidy - perfect wedge shape bead at junctions and non of this licking your finger and ‘smoothing’ the sili, whilst leaving a smear over all surfaces and a concave mess

Practice with a set of profile tools or get the pros in - it really sets apart a quality job from a diy (or pro) sealing disaster :eek:

PS. Are you a David Bowie fan ?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Jiml86 likes this.
  10. Blackstar

Blackstar Member

Well i dont think my silicone skills are too bad, i can mask off pretty well and use a profile tool, so im pretty confident that i can leave a neat finish...so..leave no gaps between tile and floor, etc, then silicone..or leave a 2mm gap, then silicone into gap ? I'm only half-tiling the walls, so will be finishing off with trim in that area.

P.s... Is there life on mars

11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

If done properly and with care, and experience, there is nothing wrong with smoothing silicone with a wetted finger.

koolpc likes this.
  12. Jiml86

Jiml86 Screwfix Select

+1 on this, profile tools are nice and quick and a great tool I often find that I still give the corners a rub of my finger dipped in water and detergent to get a really smooth transition anyway.

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sorry, but the finish won’t be as good using the ‘finger’ method as compared to using a profile tool of some description

Doesn’t matter how proper, how much care and experience used, the end result will be inferior

When you see really good silicone done along a 90 degree junction, there’s a perfect, wedge shaped bead of sili that’s even along the complete length

Both the edges where that wedge finishes are crisp and sharp with no wispy, paper thin smears of silicon left, that will soon peel off and look a mess

You just can’t get that finish by running your finger over the sili, having first lubricated your digit with soapy water or the classic spit

Naturally, the pressure you apply will vary, leaving a difference in bead size and you don’t get that perfect, sharp, wedge shape bead. If anything, due to the shape of our fingers, you end up with a concave shape with wispy edges

I’m diy yes but been around a good few pro guys that silicone day in and out, that’s all they do and a slippery finger ain’t part of their work method

14. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

I hated siliconing anything until I found the profile tools They seem expensive for a small bit of plastic but wowee what a difference!

15. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

For finishing between two surfaces that are likely to move relative to each other, I would always suggest silicone that matches the grout colour.
    However for surfaces that are unlikely to move (or only likely to move a small amount) relative to each other, I would always use flexible grout, as no matter how close your silicone colour is to the colour of the grout the texture will never be the same, so they will always look different.
    The corner between two walls is most likely going to fall into the category of not moving enough with respect to each other to require the compromise of silicone. I'd go for flexible grout on this one.

16. Peeva

Peeva New Member

I personally wouldn’t use silicone on an internal (tiled)corner, internal corner beading or just a good old fashioned grout line would be my personal preference.

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Well, you're entitled to your opinion.

18. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Not where I live!

"Where did you live?" you might ask.

"In the wrong"

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yeah, I lived in the doghouse for years, strangely enough I didn't even own a dog?

WillyEckerslike likes this.