Tiling - Is this how it should have been done???

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Mel Wardle, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Mel Wardle

Mel Wardle New Member

Our tiler has just left and I am not sure he has done the best job tiling in our bathroom but I’m not an expert so Can you help....

He hasn’t grouted yet just applied the tiles, but on one wall, by the window and then the opposite end of the same wall by the shower cubical, he has used really thin bits of tile - I think it looks awful.

Also the tile cuts in the window are really rough. See pics.... I guess grout will help but should they have been this rough?

Is this bad? what should I do when he comes back tomorrow. To remove the thin bits would mean re doing the whole wall?

Can I have your opinions please?

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Why does your link take you to a tile manufacturers unfinished website? Not the best advert for your job.....

If this isn't actually spam, then his tiling isn't bad but unfortunately his setting out leaves a lot to be desired, and he could do with a new wheel for his cutter. To remove the slivers would indeed mean redoing the wall again.

3. Matt78

Matt78 New Member

He obviously did not plan the layout first to avoid having to use thin slithers which yes are an eye sore and completely ruin the overall visual look, also looks like he has cut the tiles with a rusty chainsaw as they should be clean cut where visible because as soon as you grout them the little chips will stick out like a saw thumb.

4. Mel Wardle

Mel Wardle New Member

Jord86 sorry I’m not sure what link you mean? I just uploaded pictures? This isn’t spam!!

thanks for your advice. Do you think I should ask for it to be done again. We have enough tiles.

5. Mel Wardle

Mel Wardle New Member

hi Matt

thanks for your reply. Do you think I should ask him to do that wall again? We have enough tiles

6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Get rid of your so-called tiler and don't let him back into your house. Don't pay him either because it's going to cost you more than what he might think you owe him to get a real tiler to undo his mess.
    Any professional tiler and any half decent DIY tiler would know NEVER to just tile. Tiling is 90% planning and 10% effort, and he's shown just how lacking he is in the planning department.

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

"Thin bits of tile" in your original post, clicking tile takes you to an external site.

Yes, you will be cursing it and him forever and a day if you allow it to stay.

8. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Guess the tiler couldn’t wait until a1tilesuppliers have their free design service online :rolleyes:

Jord86 likes this.
  9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

That's quite a bit strong, he could be young and inexperienced just starting out, he should be given the chance to rectify the work before things escalate further.

10. rogerk101

The thing about tiling is that anyone who has ever done a good job of tiling spends the rest of his/her life noticing every bad tiling job they encounter. You don't tend to notice a well tiled room because it doesn't jump out at you, but a badly laid out tiling job smacks you in the face the minute you look at it.

longboat likes this.
  11. rogerk101

It's not strong at all. How is he passing himself off as a tiler and charging people good money for his efforts when he clearly knows nothing about layout?
    Any numpty can mix up a bucket of adehsive and stick tiles to a wall. They might even be able to get the tiles horizontal and evenly spaced, but that doesn't mean they can pass themselves off as a tiler.
    I'm DIY and am extremely proud of every tiling job I've done. I was taught on my very first tiling project that it's all in the layout; so how can someone claiming to be a tiler not know that?
    What ever happened to the good olde fashioned concept of training or apprenticeships?

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Well it's a shame you weren't there to advise then, I haven't disagreed that the setting out is cack but the work itself using fairly large tiles certainly isn't bad, new blades required notwithstanding, there's certainly been far worse on here over the months and years, the work does not warrant him to be kicked off the job immediately until given the chance to redo the aesthetically poor area. There isn't a recognised apprenticeship for tiling as far as I'm aware partly being as it wasn't a recognised trade for a long time as the plumber or carpenter would undertake it, plus if you can't become competent in six months of tiling day in and out then there's not much hope really.

Weekend Warrior likes this.
  13. Mel Wardle

Mel Wardle New Member

How odd about the link - I didn’t put it there?! Thanks for your advice. I am going to ask him to change it. I assume I should expect this to be done under the original quote?

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Unless you inexplicably asked him for the layout to be as it currently is, very much so, yes.

15. Mel Wardle

Mel Wardle New Member

jord86

this picture is the whole wall - he have obviously started with a grout line in the middle and worked out. Should he have started with a whole tile in the middle and worked out (like I have positioned some tiles on the bath)

Attached Files:

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Pretty much yes, give or take a tweak or two if needed, in agreement with Roger above that is terribly basic stuff to get right for a tiler. What are all the other walls like?

17. Mel Wardle

Mel Wardle New Member

Ok - no more thin bits, but there are the odd bits where the tiles aren’t quite flush with each other.

I also think we are being charge the upper end for the job, it’s about 12-13metres square of tiling and he wants £460.... ?? (To be fair though that was half what another chap wanted!!)

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Does that include tools and materials, guessing 2 days work.

19. Matt78

Matt78 New Member

Yes as this will forever curse you as mentioned in another post, sorry for the bad news and if ready mixed adhesive in a tub has been used they should come off with ease but if it’s the grey powder form adhesive which you mix yourself its a lot more of a challenge without ripping the behind plasterboard wall out with the tiles. And make sure he covers the walls with a waterproof tanking solution as most cut corners and ignore.

20. Mel Wardle

Mel Wardle New Member

oh god, it was the grey powder... does that mean it could need replastering? I think he may put up a fight any tips on how to handle it?!