Tiling on bathroom floor..

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by peter-vm, May 3, 2006.

1. peter-vm

peter-vm New Member

Hi all,

I have a T&G 15mm x 90mm floor in my bathroom, I do not want to raise it any higher than it is plus the type of flooring I install. There will be carpeting outside to the bedrooms so I would like more or less the same level.

I would like ceramics if possible but judging by the listings in this forum, the floor boards would not be thick enough. I could take the floor boards up and put ply down but I don't want to go any thicker than 15mm. Is there any type of ceramic or stone (not to thick) that I could lay on top of floor boards or ply that could maybe take the weight regardless of what floor they lie on. If not, what type of classy flooring would you recommend.

Many thanks for any replies
    Peter

2. Bigplumber

Bigplumber New Member

Erm do it right or not at all. It's not necessarally the floor but the adhesive. There are straight on the floorboard tile adhesives from the sheds, but from experience they don't work. Grout cracking etc. You have to glue and screw 15mm ply or 12.5mm aqua panel down then tile on top. Most carpet with underlay is 10mm-12mm and a nice threshold strip you will not see the difference.

You could use 9mm ply but wil not give the same support. Floorboards move and there is nothing we can do about that.

3. nigel

nigel Guest

You could take up boards and replace with 18mm ply which should suffice.

4. cheltonian

cheltonian New Member

Job i started yesterday similar to yours. I am laying 18mm WBP plywood with porcelain tiles on top. Height difference is 5-10mm to landing.

5. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

6. peter-vm

peter-vm New Member

Many thanks all,

I will be taking your advice on board if I do it the ceramic way, is there any other product I could use besides ceramic that is a little different and worth putting down, maybe a coloured rubber or something.

Thanks again
    Peter

7. daveplumber

daveplumber New Member

you need minimum 25mm ply if removing the floorboards, 18 will not suffice, ok to start but you will get problems.

8. I agree with Dave, at an absolute minimum I'd be fitting 21mm if the joists had close centres, but really you need a minimum 25mm plywood for the flooring.