Tiling on Plasterboard

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by daniel hall, Jun 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. daniel hall

daniel hall New Member

Hi,

I'm fitting in a new bath room DIY. I've but up a partition for a separate shower and just want to be 1000% on the tiling of the partition.

The partitions made from 50 x75 timber with 12.5mm plasterboard attached. From what I've read I need to use a primer like :
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-primer-g-5kg/5309p?_requestid=462176
    on the plasterboard before tiling.

This may make you laugh but do I need to remove the paper from the plasterboard first? How does the primer penetrate into the gypsum if I don't?

Also the gaps between the plasterboard or minimum like 1mm tops. Do I need to fill these before tiling?

Finally is there anything I need to watch out for ? Tips :)

Cheers
    Danny

2. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

If the area is to be a wet area then you need to tank it before tiling.

If its not a wet area then you need to prime it if using a cement based adhesive ie: mixing it from a bag, if pre mixed it will have the primer already in the mix.

Follow the instructions on the primer as you may need two coats before tiling.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

DIY womble and KIAB like this.
  4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Minimum, tank plasterboard.

Or remove, and fit Hardie backer, then tank that.

What type of tiles are you fitting?

5. daniel hall

daniel hall New Member

Hi so can I not tile onto plater board ?

6. daniel hall

daniel hall New Member

Hi, its a wet area but with a shower tray so I never planned to tank only over lap the tiles to the tray

7. daniel hall

daniel hall New Member

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

9. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.
  10. daniel hall

daniel hall New Member

Hmmm your right for sure, but its already up. This I think is for next time, lesson learned. I hope the easy way :/

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Buy a tanking kit (about £40) and youll be OK.

Use a bagged cement based adhesive and you'll be even better.

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yes, you can tile onto plasterboard, of all colours, thicknesses, and qualities. It may not be the best practice in the building industry to tile onto white but as long as you're aware of possible leaks and damage then you should be fine for a few years yet. Do as CGN advises and tank the area first.

13. LEH

LEH Active Member

Nothing really wrong with plasterboard, provided it's properly tanked. Mapei kit is on offer at the other place. Otherwise Ardex WPC is reportedly good for DIYers. Plasterboard can take up to 32 kg/m2 load (including adhesive). I did my bathroom in Jackoboards for a number of reasons (thermal insulation, ease of fitting, waterproof), but you've got your boards up and there's really no need to over-engineer, plus plasterboard is quite a bit cheaper. Never really saw the point of cement boards as they're more expensive than plasterboard, nasty to cut and you still have to tank them. Good for floors though.

14. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

If using plasterboard best to skim with multi finish , mesh the joints, doesn't have to be high quality, then paint with waterproofing primer

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Load of *****.

16. LEH

LEH Active Member

Skim is a waste of effort and can only take 20 kg/m2. Pointless. Should tape the joints if not already done with alkali resistant mesh tape. Use a proper cementitious adhesive not ready mix.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use a 12mm tile backer board, Hardie backer can support up to 100kg/m2, no tanking or priming needed, just make sure you tape joints.

Never had a problem cutting Hardie board, sharp knife to score, then snap board.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  18. DIY womble

I bow down to your superior experience, ( not taking the p155 ) , I do a lot of refurb and any tiled areas that haven't had a coat of multi underneath don't stand a chance of removing tiles for refit without reboarding, already liked the use of hardibacker , but the boards are up, the ceiling would be skimmed so would wipe the walls with tape at the same time

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Missing a bit of your reply.:confused:

Funny how it shows up when pasting.

20. DIY womble

I bow down to your superior experience, ( not taking the p155 ) , I do a lot of refurb and any tiled areas that haven't had a coat of multi underneath don't stand a chance of removing
    the boards are already up,