tiling on to plaster,

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by J.T. Builders Ltd, Dec 9, 2007.

1. J.T. Builders Ltd

J.T. Builders Ltd New Member

what do you guys do about tiling onto new un-painted plaster?

Do you;

PVA it?

Paint it?

Just tile onto it?

Or is there some other product?

cheers

2. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

It really does depend on the adhesive you use.

For example, as I only ever use powdered adhesives, I use Bal prime APD undiluted on plaster.

3. MPR Tiling

MPR Tiling New Member

As bathstyle says use something like BAl APD or Dunlop Bonding Agent on new plaster, stops it sucking the moistuer out of the adhesive. Also best to wait after 28 days for the plaster to dry out before applying.

NEVER EVER use PVA. It should be banned from tiling.

4. samuelsdad

samuelsdad New Member

Thing is, like with most things there's hardly a definitive right way. A few years ago I had a few tubs of dunlop tile adhesive and (to cut a long story short) ended up meeting one of their sales rep. He gave me a list of their recommendations and one of them was to always use waterproof pva (diluted) before tiling on new plaster. I did question the rep about this and he was adamant that new plaster should be PVA'd because if not, the plaster sucks the moisture from the adhesive too quickly, therefore it doesn't set properly.

I've also put a tile on pva's plaster and one straight on. After a week, the one i'd put straight on was far easier to get off than the one on the pva'd bit

5. J.T. Builders Ltd

J.T. Builders Ltd New Member

Well;

The adhesive we were supplied is;

- Webber.Fix Plus

And the bloke in the shop who used to be a pro!!! (and he wasn't working in a DIY shed) sad to water down some PVA and paint it on the new plaster!!!!

Now i didn't talk to the bloke, but as i have read on here you lot say you shouldn't PVA it.

So looks like he was talking ****.

will go out and get some BAL.

cheers

6. MPR Tiling

MPR Tiling New Member

samuelsdad, so a rep (a salesman then) from Dunlop told you to use DILUTED (!!!!) PVA. Well I'm gobsmacked. Presume he doesn't work for them any longer then.
    As I previously stated. All PVA does is coat the plaster etc with a thin film which is the only thing holding the adhesive & the tile to the wall !!! If it starts to get wet it will try to return to it's original state & become sticky.
    Use BAL APD or Dunlop Bonding Agent. Maybe the rep hadn't heard of that??

7. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Well;

The adhesive we were supplied is;

- Webber.Fix Plus

And the bloke in the shop who used to be a pro!!!
    (and he wasn't working in a DIY shed) sad to water
    down some PVA and paint it on the new plaster!!!!

Now i didn't talk to the bloke, but as i have read on
    here you lot say you shouldn't PVA it.

So looks like he was talking ****.

will go out and get some BAL.

cheers

Weberfix plus is basically Fermagrip tile adhesive. It's a ready mixed tile adhesive.

You should prime the walls with whatever the manufacturer recommends, in this case it is weber PR370 or weber AD250 primer.

8. cosworth

cosworth New Member

waterproof pva wont break down when wet thats why its waterproof.
    i see the sense in not using standard pva though.
    but im not a tiler and dont take my advice,i just wanted to comment on the waterproof thing.

9. samuelsdad

samuelsdad New Member

mpr tiling

I hear you my friend, however it wasn't what he said, but was what them, as a manufacturer of wall tile adhesive actually recommends in writing.

I just fit kitchens and bathrooms and often sub the tiling out. Out of the 5 tilers I use, 3 swear by PVA, 1 is indifferent, and the other is adamant pva shouldn't be used.

They all know there stuff and just shows that "theres more than one way to skin a cat." No right or wrong in my book. In my 15 years doing this I've never had any issues yet.

10. samuelsdad

samuelsdad New Member

bathstyle

You know what, as I said in my earlier posts, there's no right and wrong. Whatever you do, if it's tiles well, I'm sure you will have no probs but do seal the plaster. You can use pva, sealant, I've even seen cheap white emulsion used. Again if it's plastered and tiled well you'll have no problems

11. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Samuelsdad

In this case there is a right and wrong way, the right way would be to use the primer made and recommended by the manufacturer in question.

The wrong way being to suggest using PVA or even Watered down emulsion paint.

12. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

watered down horse poo works a treat

13. samuelsdad

samuelsdad New Member

bathstyle

Ooh after much too-ing and fro-ing I found it in writing from unibond. Under their own installation guidelines, using their own tiling adhesive, they recommend waterproof PVA as one of the preparations when tiling on new plaster.

Also (for what its worth), wickes recommend using PVA on new plaster before tiling

14. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

J.T Builders is using Weber fix plus, not a Unibond or Wickes adhesive.

Generally the DIY type adhesives take a while to catch up to the professional adhesives installation methods

15. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

bathstyle is right.....just follow the instructions on the back of what your using and use what they reccomend...if you have any problems then you allways have the manufacturer to fall back on

16. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Even though I have never had a problem with pva, I use the appropriate primer, don't tempt fate for the sake of a few quid, last thing I want is a phone call from someone whose tiles have fell off.

17. Cyril

Cyril New Member

J T Builders... Perr what a pathetic little scummy company with no decent employees and little fat bald cleaners..

Pathetic

18. murrmac

murrmac Member

> As I previously stated. All PVA does is coat the
    plaster etc with a thin film which is the only thing
    holding the adhesive & the tile to the wall !!! If it
    starts to get wet it will try to return to it's
    original state & become sticky

absolute and unmitigated *, my friend ...

[Edited by: admin6]

19. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

As I previously stated. All PVA does is coat
    the
    [/i]plaster etc with a thin film which is the only
    thing
    holding the adhesive & the tile to the wall !!! If
    it
    starts to get wet it will try to return to it's
    original state & become sticky

absolute and unmitigated *, my friend ...

If a customer has forked out a £1000 for tiles, what are you going to use put them on, pva, flour & water, this is professional tiling and therefore calls for professional materials, get with the program.

[Edited by: admin6]

20. murrmac

murrmac Member

where did I suggest using flour and water, or not using "professional" materials ?

what I am suggesting is that very few (if any) tilers have a degree in chemistry and are liable to believe all sorts of old wives' tales about the materials they use, and pass these old wives' tales on (in good faith, admittedly) as gospel truth.