Tiling on Underfloor Heating

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by TJP 40, Apr 22, 2008.

1. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

not good....he sounds like a right cowboy. It might be worth taking photo's of your findings and also maybe paying a pro tiler to come out and write a report for you so you have something to take along to the small claims court

2. GKU

GKU New Member

Jeez mate , sorry to hear how it's turned out , this guy sounds a right baa-lamb .Heres how I see it (for what it's worth to you): He is either - (A) Not a proper Tiler , as any <u>good</u> Tiler will NOT "dot & dab" , they will tile using a "solid bed" technique . Or - (B)-He has tried to pull one over on you when you were'nt looking . He has also lied to you about <u>not</u> "dotting & dabbing" , as you have discovered by lifting some of the tiles he has laid , and some of his work is pssd anyway (you said he was going to take them up & re-lay them)????? , well I , and I'm sure most of the tilers on this forum have never had to do that , yes , sure you re-adjust them sometimes whilst the adhesive is still wet , but not after it had dried (was he trying it on there as well)and the fact that you were able to lift the tiles as easily as you say , also is worrying . It brings into doubt the whole job he has done mate , and I agree with Jizzard fully , you pay for a job to be done , and you want it done well , and especially bearing in mind the amount of cash you paid out , you are certainly entitled to expect a first rate job , (which by the sound of it , you have'nt got anywhere near that) - don't accept just any old job mate and don't listen to anyone who says "oh , that'll do, just be happy with it" - you paid for a proper job to be done and that is what you should get !!!! If , as you say , you may be taking him to court , take loads of foto's of all his mistakes etc , ie: pssd tiles , the "dot &dab" system he used (when he claimed he did'nt) and the lack of adhesive in places etc , Good luck mate :)

3. GKU

GKU New Member

"****" - ;)

4. TJP 40

TJP 40 New Member

Thanks for the kind words people and I do certainly intend to take plenty of pictures as I lift the tiles. I also have a pro tiler coming tomorrow to give his verdict and I will ask for a report from him. Believe it or not this guy has been around for years as the place I bought my tiles (this shop has been ace and have agreed to sell me the replacement tiles at little over cost price - effin top bloke!) have known him a long time and he evn said to me that he always had a feeling that something wasn't right.

Very very hard and expensive lesson learnt and one I could really do without at the moment. He has done my 3 bathrooms too and on closer inspection it is a very average job. Got to move on somehow and get this mess sorted otherwise I will end up in the nuthouse.

Have a good weekend people.

Word of warning: Avoid Paul the tiler from Dagenham!

5. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

Hard decision? Its the easiest decision in the world.
    Move in and stop flapping. It will be fine you have
    been told so, the tiler has signed, others have said
    yet still you bleat about ripping them up?? Do you
    actually want to rip them up? You are a total fool if
    you rip them up. This place is full of muppets who
    talk a good job but dont live in the real world. Move
    in and warm tyour feet and be happy. Christ almighty

THE BIGGEST MUPPET HERE IS THE LOONEY WHO WROTE THE ABOVE

The other people who written here are pros and have tried their best to help,each on principle agreeing to method to lay tiles etc.Now you realise tyhis muppet had no intention of honouring this so called warranty.I hope you manage to get this sorted as you have spent alot money on the project and for that you expect a professional job done to the coprrect specification

6. GKU

GKU New Member

THE BIGGEST MUPPET HERE IS THE LOONEY WHO WROTE THE
    ABOVE

The other people who written here are pros and have
    tried their best to help,each on principle agreeing
    to method to lay tiles etc.Now you realise tyhis
    muppet had no intention of honouring this so called
    warranty.I hope you manage to get this sorted as you
    have spent alot money on the project and for that you
    expect a professional job done to the coprrect
    specification

;)

7. GKU

GKU New Member

It makes you wonder if it was actually <u>him</u> who did the job we're talking about :)

8. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

I was thinking the same press

9. GKU

GKU New Member

, Yeah , sounds more plausible the more you read his reply and think about it . I think "<u>tvmakesiteasy</u>" summed it up well , don't you ?

10. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

I thought the same and did a bit of digging .He seems to be a CC or CCC as so eloquently put by dickie puller .If you click on his name you will see his threads ,basically asking very simple questions a newly qualified spark in my opinion from some of the very basic questions he seems to be asking.Then coming here and bigging himself up like he knows what he talking about.Ah well some mothers gotta have em .Have a good saturday lads im off to hang some oak engineered doors for my mother another freebie,well worse then freebie gotta pay all the materials as well :)

11. GKU

GKU New Member

Cheers , 'ave a good 'un yourself mate , I'm doing sweet FA this weekend , need a rest :)

12. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

Tvmakeiteasy talks out of his ring, dont care how much diggin he has done - simple questions as he puts he would have fek all chance of answering. I often ponder and ask simple questions in all walks of life.
    Anyhow i am not arguing with so called Tilers, its not even a trade and anybody can ave a do at it, it is not hard in the slightest and you can harp on about setting out all you want but if you have half a brain cell you can do it. Usually plumbers or plasterers do the tiling, not the sparks though - we actualy have to get qualified and insured and understand how to put things right like this :^O

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Imagine some adhesive spreader trying to get his brain in gear to sort that lot out - not your bit of tiling on a sunday job no is it :^O Feking nuggets.

Re my origional comments. We will never know but i would bet that it would have been fine. I am glad though that that *** who did the origional post has wasted so much cash and had such a tough time ahead for his efforts, teach him to listen to screwfix idiots.

13. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

Excuse me after you have finished wiping grout could you trace out the latent defect in this for me as some of the earthing is carrying current?
    Errrr no but i can do you a cracking splashback for your kitchen :^O

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

you have been laughed off this forum plenty of times for asking basic questions and proving the only knowledge you own is how to work the camera on your phone and take pictures of other peoples work. I bet your nothing more than a labourer who has these big dreams of landing that one big job that will set you up for life.

15. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

Tvmake it easy is a odd jobber who knows a bit of everything but not alot about much :^O

Jizzard reading your posts you seem to do alot of bulling about being a pro tiler but the times you post indicate you dont work much??????

Question.
    Does the term professional tiler exist?? Sadly no.
    Once tv and press are actually qualified in a real trade like me then they can sling mud.

16. jizzard_of_oz

jizzard_of_oz New Member

i earn more money than you would ever dream about gob sh1te. so much so that im not adverse to giving the odd tenner to charity. there should be a charity for mentally challenged people like you although i dont think i would support that one.

there is an old saying "2 years in the job and they think they know everything about every trade" in your case it sounds like youve spent a week

17. GKU

GKU New Member

Plumbing is my main trade (20+ years) and I am also fully trained in tiling as well (albeit some years ago now). What seems to be your problem ? You come on a tiling forum giving out VERY <u>poor</u> advice on a subject you clearly know nothing about and **** off the person who started the post as well , then you wonder why people have a go back at you ??? :O . Yes , many people can do tiling , but there is a long way between being able to do tiling and being able to do tiling well / properly . Many tilers that come on here regularly go in to houses and see the carp jobs that people have had done by people claiming to be able to tile (who in reality have probably just done their own kitchen). Also , many tilers that use this forum work to a far higher standard of workmanship than you clearly do judging by you previous comments on this thread , near enough is NOT good enough for a good tradesman . You are not qualified in any way whatsoever to make comments and give "expert" advice on tiling , people don't go on the "sparks" forum in the way you have done on here , what sort of reaction did you expect ? :O :O

18. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

Tvmake it easy is a odd jobber who knows a bit of
    everything but not alot about much :^O

Jizzard reading your posts you seem to do alot of
    bulling about being a pro tiler but the times you
    post indicate you dont work much??????

Question.
    Does the term professional tiler exist?? Sadly no.
    Once tv and press are actually qualified in a real
    trade like me then they can sling mud.

I See this muppet has ideas of grandeur,like i said before definetly sounds like course cowboy or career changer,son i have employed and run off many sparks like you from site,for gods sake he doesnt even know what will be good chaser to buy and has to ask time served professionals for their opinion.I have forgotten more about the building trade then you will ever know and dont try and impress me with some pictures after asking such basic questions

The post started originally with how someone had a job bodged to bufferys and you come here and say grin and bear it,instead of explaining the mechanics of what and how it shud have been done
    my posts are there to help people where i can not to belittle people,but i say it the way it is and dont suffer fools like this person easily.As for your assumption im an odd jobber how far you are from the truth look at the beginning and the first question i asked on this forum it will enlighten your small mind and maybe you will have an idea of what i do,instead of stabbing in the dark

19. TJP 40

TJP 40 New Member

Well I'm glad I didn't listen to you MrTV whatever your friggin name is. Clearly you talk **** and why would you be pleased that someone has been ripped off? Clearly you're a dodgey cowboy too and like to rip people off. Thankfully I listened to the advice of the pro's on here and got in another pro tiler for some advice.

At first glance he said it wasn't a bad job. It looked level and seemed reasonably well laid out. He could see why I was taken in which made me feel less of an idiot I suppose!! On closer inspection he said some of the cuts were bad and the grouting could have been better. When he saw the tiles I had taken up he was quite shocked. Like me he just couldn't believe anybody would do that. He suggested we lifted some more and when I levered on a tile a whole row of 6 just popped up. He condemned the whole job as p*ss poor and will definitely be an ongoing nightmare so the lot had to come up.

Tough decision but the right one. I took up 50sq metres of tiles in the kitchen/diner, utility, hallway and wc in less than 4 hours and I didn't break one whole tile. That is some indication of how unstuck they were. He also used the wrong adhesive for the job and didn't seal the floor either. Getting the adhesive off the floor was a piece of p*ss - sadly not so for the tiles so they will need to be skipped. All this hassle and waste of money just because the fat t*sser wanted to save about £60 on adhesive!! Utter cnut. I will pursue him through small claims but I don't hold out much hope but of course the Inland Revenue will find out about him as I can't imagine for one minute he is declaring any of his earnings.

So guess what I am doing this week? :(

20. GKU

GKU New Member

Well I'm glad I didn't listen to you MrTV whatever
    your friggin name is.

:O - I think you got the names muddled up , you are referring to "wklivesvtime" (I hope) !!!