Tiling on walls painted with bathroom paint?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Chuckyb, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Chuckyb

Chuckyb New Member

I've managed to get discontinued tiles that were used in my bathroom. I'm going to put a shower over the bath and extend the tiles upwards. The walls are painted with Dulux soft sheen bathroom paint.

I was wondering what I should do to the walls to make sure that the tile adhesive sticks.

Thanks for any help.

2. carl24bpool

carl24bpool Active Member

this will depend how well adhered the paint is to the tiles.

I think Mapei do some sort of primer for tile adhesives but you wold have to check with them if it can be used over paint.

Chuckyb likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Deeply score the walls to provide a good key.

Jord86 and Chuckyb like this.
  4. Chuckyb

Chuckyb New Member

Thanks for that. I was thinking of scraping the painted surface with something through to the plasterboard to give the adhesive something to key into. Be a pain etc

Edit Astramax best me to it. Thanks

5. Astramax

Astramax Screwfix Select

Wickes sell Bostic AP50 Super Grip which would do the job but you would have to get the paint off of at least 50% of the area of each tile. Best read the data sheet and instructions on Wickes site.Used this adhesive last year on in a similar situation with no problems.

Chuckyb likes this.
  6. carl24bpool

Sorry, for some reason I thought you were going over painted tiles.

I dont think you will have any issues going straight onto it. Tile adhesive sticks to anything if you use the stuff you mix yourself. I fnd the stuff in tubs to be nowhere near as good as the mix yourself type. Just dont mix to much and get the rapid set stuff.

If youre not sure then try one tile and see how hard it is to get back off after a few days.

Chuckyb likes this.
  7. Chuckyb

Chuckyb New Member

The cement based stuff. Is it easy to mix or do you need a mixing paddle for a drill or something? I'm going to do this a bit at a time as I have an en suite. So I wouldn't be mixing huge quantities.

If I used to the method, removing paint or scoring walls and using premixed adhesive, which I have a large rub of, what be a decent tool to make this as easy as possible. Thanks.

8. carl24bpool

Very easy to mix with a stick or trowel in a bucket. I've done it like this at home when working into the night to avoid using my mixer. Just be sure to add the water first and add the adhesive gradually so that its runny and easy to mix until you reach the correct consistency.

As mentioned it wouldnt do any harm scoring lines in the wall with a stanley knife but as long as your paint is sound I think you will be okay.

Chuckyb likes this.
  9. Chuckyb

Chuckyb New Member

Thanks for the advice Carl. Much appreciated and everybody else..