Tiling on waterproof chip board

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by BWH, Jan 21, 2007.

1. BWH

BWH New Member

I am tiling my bathroom and part of the wall has been constructed out of a waterproof chip board type of material (Build Center SOWAE OSB/3)I have coated an area of this with Evostik Super Evo Bond PVA at a mix of 5:1 and let it dry before tiling. The tiles have not stuck and I have had to remove them. An area of the saqme chip board tiled without priming seems OK. The tile adhesive is Unibond Tile on Wall shower and bathroom. What have I done wrong and how do I resolve the problem. Thanks in anticipation

2. JAD

JAD New Member

The problem about tiling onto pva has been well covered in this forum. Basically if you prime the board in pva you are then sticking your tiles to the layer of pva and not the board. Also be aware that there is no such thing as waterproof chipboard so if you are planning on using the area as a shower or bath you are going to have serious problems in the future.

3. ramsden

ramsden New Member

I'm not an expert on this but I read that it's a good idea to tile in small areas and lay the tiles before the PVA dries to avoid above problems!

Agree, about the chipboard comment though. It's naff! I've got a damp chipboard problem! If only builders didnt skimp so much all our floor would be ply and much stronger for it!

4. when I were a lad houses were built with proper t&g wood floorboards

oh yes, when I were a lad !

5. ramsden

ramsden New Member

Baar humbug to all these new fangled ways and cheap building methods... the youth of today I tell ya

6. Nigel

Nigel New Member

I would tear down the chipboard and replace with aqua panel or ply.