Tiling onto bitumen tanked wall

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by jon ccc, Jul 13, 2016.

1. jon ccc

jon ccc New Member

I did not find much in the search results about whether a bitumen wall can be tiled.
    In my bathroom, I waterproofed an ordinary new-plasterboard wall with this dampproof liquid, "Bostik-Flexible-Liquid-Damp-Proof-Membrane-2". On it im planning to use "Mapei Floor & Wall Tile Adhesive Grey 20kg" to fix 30x30cm ceramic tiles.

After discovering in a post that bitumen can not be tiled over. i checked the bostik contents, and found it was 'bitumen and rubber latex aqueous dispersion', according the data sheet tds00461.pdf.

my questions:
    1. can i tile over the bitumen without doing anything else to it?
    2. or do i need to seal/ prime the bitumen before tiling? and what with?
    3. would it just be easier to get new plasterboard [ my local b. merchant didnt have the waterproof type, so that is why i decided to waterproof the normal-type plasterboard]

Thanks

2. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

I doubt anyone will know the answer to this as no tiler would be using this product. Also contacting the manufacturer will be no help as they would not have tested the product by sticking tiles to it.
    Answer to Question 3 = yes.

jon ccc likes this.
  3. Jon, there is no harm is contacting Bostik - they'll either say "We don't recommend" (ie - they don't know), or else "No prob - use this primer first..."

If you find the best route is to over-board, then travel a bit further and get some waterproof tiling board - virtually every superstore or merchants will have it.

jon ccc likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

jon ccc likes this.
  5. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I presume the waterproofing was because there was to be a shower/bath at that location?

It may be quicker to remove the plasterboard and replace with new - possibly water resistant and then use something such as Ardex WPC: http://www.ardex.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=41&CatID=8 It is a two part mix that is painted/rollered on followed by a second coat. That is designed to be plastered over and is a full waterproofing product. Then use an Ardex X7 tile cement.

jon ccc likes this.
  6. jon ccc

jon ccc New Member

hi all,
    thanks for the advice and suggestions offered.

to answer the various questions:
    a. i do not have a car [only a push-bike] and my b.merchant was 100metres. thats why i decided still to buy ordinary plasterboard when they said they did not stock the waterproof type.
    b. bostik replied yesterday stating that the damp proof was not suitable for tiling over

c. thanks, i will look at using the blue grit
    d. yes, the waterproofing was due to having a bath-shower in that area

---

i will either use a new ordinary plasterboard, or try the blue grit

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  7. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

If I'm tiling around a shower, I always use something like MultiPro instead of plasterboard. Get the right material and you won't spend unnecessary money fixing mistakes; Builders Merchants will also be able to get stock in to order and deliver it as well (for a price).

jon ccc likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

MultiPro is one of many waterproof tilebacker boards available,it's a better option to replace exsisting plasterboard with it, than using blue grit which might not work.

jon ccc likes this.
  9. Jon, be absolutely certain that Blue Grit will adhere 100% to the tanking before you go down that route.

As said above, if you have to go the 'new board' route, then please find a way of transporting the proper waterproof board back to your house.

I know it'll cost to have it delivered, but I don't think Wickes, for example, charge that much? Or, take a bus to the nearest store to have these boards, with a tape measure and saw and cut the boards down to a carriable-back-on-the-bus size.

Or hire a local mini-bus sized taxi in a quiet moment - you can probably shove it in that back doors up between the seats (but check with the driver first...)

jon ccc likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm also not 100% sure with Blue Grit, it works on many surfaces superbly,BUT I don't know about on bitumen surfaces, that why I suggest contacting Everbuild for advice.

Got no mates who can help you with delivery for the price of a pint.

jon ccc likes this.
  11. A pub crawl from the builder's merchants to home - with a couple of 8x4 sheets under yer arms.

If that ain't a recipe for a cracking day out, what is? :)

jon ccc and KIAB like this.