Tiling onto MDF for fireplace

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by nnelG_xelA, Nov 28, 2017.

1. nnelG_xelA

nnelG_xelA New Member

Hi,

I am building an inset fireplace for a family member where the backing and hearth will be constructed using 18mm MDF and tiled over using 600mm x 300mm x 10mm wall/floor tiles from Wickes...see attached picture.

I have heard that it’s not a good idea to tile directly onto MDF, as some have suggested it would not adhere very well?

This confused me a little as I remember tiling a splashback once which included some MDF box work. The customer changed her mind about the tile colour which meant removing the newly fixed tiles. When it came to removing the tiles from the box work it was an absolute nightmare as the tiles had stuck to the MDF solid. They were stuck so hard that I had to use an old chisel to chip away at the tiles, and obviously it destroyed the box work which I then had to replace before starting again. Also, this was adhesive and grout which I know isn’t the best apparently.

Has anyone else here tiled onto MDF, and would you have any advice regarding this (Inc. alternative methods of adhesion). Someone mentioned Gripfill? If so, how would you apply it…dot and dab or would you attempt to spread it?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. I would suggest that the biggest issue with tiling directly on to MDF is the way it could draw the water out of the adhesive making it weak before it dries properly. This clearly didn't happen with your other job!

Also, although you have nice thick 18mm MDF, it isn't the most 'stable' of materials and may want to try and warp a little - say from the water in the adhesive or over time from the cold wall surface compared to the warm room air - will the adhesive & grout chosen be able to cope with this slight movement?

I don't think there's any issue with adhesive not actually sticking to the MDF - just about everything sticks to it! But I wonder if a primer is recommended first, for the reasons above?

Hopefully others will advise further.

(But I think I'd use 'flexible' adhesive and grout - unless others say 'no need'.)

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wood prime it, will stop mdf sucking life out of adhesive.
    Definitely a 'flexible' adhesive and grout.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Prime with SBR tile prime -Ardex or other brands available - check dilution guides on container and instructions on use

Large format tiles - better to use flexible bagged tile adhesive than ready mixed

Mapei, available from our hosts is quality stuff and a great range of coloured grouts available as well

What material are the tiles - porcelain, ceramic, slate, other ?

Check suitability of adhesive for tiles used as not one ady suits all so check and use recommended stuff

MDF should be fine in this situation but obviously not so good in damp or humid rooms. Just check construction is solid with zero movement or flex - adhesive may say flexible but always best to eliminate any movement

Post some pics of finished job - will look great :)

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. nnelG_xelA

nnelG_xelA New Member

Hi guys,

OK, so my mate was adamant that gripfill would do the job considering the nature of the project and I applied them yesterday morning using gripfill extreme. (Apparently, I'm worrying too much). Admittedly, they seem solid but I'm still dubious about the idea. Not sure if I went OTT on the gripfill but best to have a little too much than too little, right? I've also purchased the flexible grout as suggested and will apply this once everything else is complete.

I've attached some picture of my progress so far. I've still got to cut and tile the recesses and add a second coat of paint yet. Still a few jobs to do yet.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpeg
      4.jpeg
      File size:
      151.1 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      242.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpeg
      2.jpeg
      File size:
      236.7 KB
      Views:
  7. nnelG_xelA

nnelG_xelA New Member

Just thought I would post some picture of the final product :)

Attached Files:

Jord86 and KIAB like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Looks very good.:)

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Now that's sexy. I like that a lot, sleek and modern yet simple in the design. Top marks from me bud.

KIAB likes this.
  10. nnelG_xelA

nnelG_xelA New Member

Thanks guys, appreciate it :)

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Simple, but very classy.[​IMG]