tiling onto plasterboard walls

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by geordie-guy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. GKU

GKU New Member

Incorrect me old son , PVA partly soaks into the plaster / plasterboard and partly leaves a layer or skin on the surface ...... hence when adhesive is put on it , it re-activates as said on many , many occasions in the past, using the correct primer for the job (BAL etc) this does soak into the substrate and becomes part of it .
    Like I said , do a search on this forum (a good one) and you will learn . And like I also said earlier there are tilers and there are tilers !!!!! just cos somebody has been doin tiling for a long time does'nt mean that they're good and that they know all there is to know , you have to keep up with advancements in technology etc and stop livin in the stone age . You can lead a horse to water but .......
    Look , stop all the rowing and do a search on the subject , there are many , many past discussions in this so you should'nt have too much trouble finding the answers to your questions , good luck ;)

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Come on Manassa!

Stop propagating cowboy tips!

3. bath master

bath master New Member

Manassa getting over problems is hard enough some days without create moor. If a diyer starts with pva then decides they cannot complete the job. They get a pro in and if it goes wrong because of bad advise whos pocket is lighter? Once pva has been applied its not easy to remove. The primer adhesive and grout is designed as a system to work in harmony with each other. Your not a Chemist so please dont encourage the use of it. I have seen tiles fall off when the adhesive had been on the wall about 20 mins once the pva had softend.

4. manassa

manassa New Member

Bath Master..."once pva has been applied its not easy to remove" ,until you tile on it then it falls off apparently.
    I am not the only person who has put loads of tiles on pva without any problems,and I prefer to trust my own experience rather than the manufacturers advice.
    These are the manufacturers who put on there tubs that you can stick tiles on without battens and they won,t slip.

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I have seen too many tiles coming away once the walls are wet, and its often down to PVA. NEVER use it for tile priming.

6. manassa

manassa New Member

Captain Leaky:The thread is about tiling onto plasterboard on a toilet wall,why would the wall become wet behind the tiles.
    The answer is the wall will not be wet so pva will be an ideal primer.

7. imran_

imran_ New Member

the titanic is unsinkable, why do we need lifeboats..... You sir are an idiot!

8. GKU

GKU New Member

Don't waste your breath gents , its becoming quite clear that he has'nt got the intellectual capacity to understand what is being said to him :(

9. manassa

manassa New Member

Insults GKU,the usual retort of an individual who can,t answer valid questions on(in this case) the properies of different bonding agents.
    If you are a diy tiler please take note:
    Tiles do not fall of dry plaster or board if you use pva(it is a myth)
    Areas subjected to constant wetness such as showers need a waterproof tiling primer.
    Pva is ideal for sealing walls in other situations.
    There are a lot of sheep on this forum who post without using there own mind.Let he who has never pva,d a wall cast the first stone...;)

10. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Insults GKU,the usual retort of an individual who can,t answer valid questions on(in this case) the properies of different bonding agents.
    If you are a diy tiler please take note:
    Tiles do not fall of dry plaster or board if you use pva(it is a myth)
    Areas subjected to constant wetness such as showers need a waterproof tiling primer.
    Pva is ideal for sealing walls in other situations.
    There are a lot of sheep on this forum who post without using there own mind.Let he who has never pva,d a wall cast the first stone...

manassa, catch....:D
    i have never pva'd a wall before tiling, from kitchen splashbacks to powershower cubicles iv only ever used the correct primers, admittedly i didnt add tiling to my craft untill 5 years or so ago so i dont pretend to know all there is to know about tiling but im a firm beleiver in going with MI's and if you go against them and somthing does go wrong its your a55 in the sling! there are reasons the manufacturer wants you to use the correct procedures and its not for profits its to obtain the best results from their products! thats my opinion on it!
    ps its nice to have a day off! ;)

11. freddy198

freddy198 Member

Only ever had a problem (if you could call it that?)with tiling once when tiling direct onto plasterboard using green star adhesive (no pva).

Had to remove a tile (cant remember reason why) a few days later and could not believe how easy it came off.

Never havd a problem since always using pva.

I was always told the plasterboard soaks the water out of the adhesive too quickly if not using pva.

Correct me if I'm wrong but does Green star adhesive already have a primer in it?

Each to their own!

In wet areas DO NOT use plasterboard, period!