Tiling over 22mm chipboard floor

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Stue, Mar 17, 2008.

1. GKU

GKU New Member

I read your input about this in another thread , very interesting , I will be looking into it a bit more in depth now that someone (yourself) reckons that it is that good , where can you get it ? All the usual haunts , or have you got to search hard for it ?

2. enjay

enjay New Member

3. GKU

GKU New Member

Cheers buddy , all the best to ya ....

4. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

just wondering how many of you after ripping all the floor up, then insulate the floor. As building regs state replacing 25% or more of a wall,floor or ceiling covering you have to up the insulation to the current regs. Also do you fit a loose tonge on the joints of the ply or nogg under the joints or just leave it to flex. I think 22mm wbp is more than strong enough if laid correctly

5. chip off the block

25mm if on 600cts

6. GKU

GKU New Member

I normally screw down at between 200mm & 300mm centres , agree with you about 25mm being rigid enough , but I do put noggins in sometimes depending on if I feel it needs it or not and if I'm able to as there can be a mass of pipework sometimes in certain areas of a bathroom , if you get my drift ...

7. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Hmmmmmmmmm, not convinced me self on that!

Worked on a house a while back where the builder laid the green moisture resistant 22mm Chipboard floor sheets (2100 x 500 I think) as a working platform when the build was only at 1st floor level.

Totally exposed to the elements for a couple of months and got leathered by the rain on many occasions.

Now the house is built the chipboard is still in place and seems fine.

Yes if your picky you can feel a very faint ridge between the sheets where it has swelled a tadge but nothing you could feel after the floorcovering is laid whether it be tiles, carpet or wood.

Now if this stuff can take multiple torrential downpours I fail to see how the odd bit of moisture off a Bathroom floor will phase it, especially as any moisture has to get through the laid tiles and grout first?

Conflicting views welcome!

8. GKU

GKU New Member

There are <u>many</u> threads on this subject , just search through this forum and the plumbers forum , you will get all the answers you need and they all say the same thing in the end , we're only trying to help buddy ...

9. chip off the block

mr chipboard can be left to the elements for 30-40 days dependant on who makes it and what they recomend. I think it is fine with ditra matting layed on it as long as it has been layed correctly

10. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

There are so many views on this matter as we all know.

I have posted a link in another thread on this subject to a floor system made by puhos (they make the weather deck flooring).

It's totally waterproof and is designed for protection during build and they also state it's a great tile backer board too.

God knows how much it costs though.

11. chip off the block

the only problem with the puhos board is that you have to glue it down because if you nail it water gets in. It is only a paint that is on the board but they are great board for leaving out in the rain and easy to clean after the mucky fcuking plasterers have been in

12. chip off the block

oh and cost wise it is only a little more that norm chipb flooring

13. Simon J

Simon J New Member

I've converted to that Hardibacker stuff now, loads better than ply board.

Anyone use it??

14. chip off the block

dont know a supplier near me but have used the pci board on the last job i did and it worked well and it tanks at the same time

15. Simon J

Simon J New Member

Topps Tiles, Selco and Travis Perkins stock the Hardibacker boards.

16. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

You know something, I just had a thought.

If cost effective, it may well be faster and easier to apply a BAL WP1 kit to a standard chipboard floor than rip out and replace with WBP ply.

What do you lads think?

17. chip off the block

You know something, I just had a thought.

If cost effective, it may well be faster and easier
    to apply a BAL WP1 kit to a standard chipboard floor
    than rip out and replace with WBP ply.

What do you lads think?

thats why i use ditra matting