Tiling over black jack DPM

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by fug646, May 11, 2023.

1. fug646

fug646 New Member

Hi all,

Sure this has been covered elsewhere but I have had some conflicting advice and thought I would run it past a few others.

Existing floor slab we have uncovered has had two coats of black jack DPM applied in the past given the slab was damp and unlikely to have an dpm or insulation. The self leveller applied below that has bubbled and unadhered in a couple of localised spots and has not adhered to the slab it seems. This has been hacked back and all lose material removed. Thought process now being;

1) apply black jack DPM again, straight to slab, possibly 2 coats and sand blinding to second coat for a key
    2) apply diluted SBR, leave to dry and then stronger coat of SBR
    3) when SBR still tacky apply self leveller
    4) porcelain tiles to then go on self levelled floor, possibly using waterproof adhesive for added protection

Does this sound ok or likely to have any issues down the line? any other suggestions welcome. Was also looking at tanking slurry. Sika/Ever Build have confirmed the SBR on to black jack would work ok.

Many thanks

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve also tiled a porch floor with same set up and evidence of localised damp in one corner, also took advice from EverBuild Tech Department

2 coats blackjack dpm direct to slab after removing loose dust

2 coats sbr at 4-1 water over black jack

Poured SLC, Mapei Ultimate I believe

Tiled using porcelain tiles and bagged adhesive suitable for porcelain - all good several years now passed

The leveller has probably bubbled due to damp coming through slab and coming into direct contact with the leveller / slab should have been sealed first or a poly membrane laid over it

That’s another option, poly membrane then self leveller and ready to tile

Jobs a good-un !

fug646 likes this.