Tiling over Marley tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Simonuk, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Simonuk

Simonuk New Member

Evening,

We have a 70's house and am looking to replace the flooring in the downstairs toilet. Since lifting up the carpet I can see there are, what I believe, is called Marley tiles. These are sitting on top of bitumen.

Basically I want to know if I can tile over the top of them and if so how do I prep the Marley tiles.

Before you ask, I don't want to remove them as I'm concerned they contain asbestos.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As long as tiles are well stuck down and not broken, cracked or loose, easy prep required;

Sweep floor

Wash floor to clean and degrease using a regular floor cleaner and hot water

Rinse floor with clean water

Allow to fully dry

Using either a specific tile primer or SBR, follow manufacturers instruction on container (SBR likely diluted 1-4 with water) paint on 2 coats over the Marley’s

Allow to dry

Ready to tile now, use good quality tile adhesive and grout, powdered (bagged) materials are best. If using porcelain tiles, ensure adhesive choice is suitable for these as not all is

SF sell a range of Mapei adhesives and grouts - good gear :)

3. Simonuk

Simonuk New Member

Hi DIYDave,

Thanks for your prompt response.

So after a weekend of deliberation and various conversations, I'm now going to remove the tiles (carefully)!

Can i just clean up the bitumen and then add some tile primer in preparation for the new tiles?

Many thanks
    Simon