Tiling over New floor Screed

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Kieron Mitchell, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Kieron Mitchell

Kieron Mitchell New Member

Hi all

I have a project at home where I need to level parts of the floor, and then lay large format (500x 1000) porcelain tiles

I’ve knocked through 2 external walls to form what will be the new kitchen, so there are two cavities to go over. I’m concerned about cracks. I hope the picture will help visualise. Blue scribbles = finish floor height areas, green scribbles = floor that needs levelling up. Also shows where the two cavities are. This will all be one open plan tiled floor downstairs

question 1: can I use a traditional screed mix, sharp sand and cement, nice and wet to find its own level, using slate to cover the cavity? Some areas are 15mm deep, some need 30-40mm to bring the level up. This looks far easier than using self leveller in multiple, multiple layers and I have the materials on site

question 2: will I have any issues with cracks that then result in my tiles cracking on top?

Any advice would be really appreciated !

thanks

Attached Files:

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I dug out cavity bricks 2 courses down, lined with plastic and filled with concrete mix. Won't give anywhere vs new slab floor which can sink..

Is this what you are worried about?

Also have you seen these... Brilliant

3. Kieron Mitchell

Kieron Mitchell New Member

Good to know on the Cavity, my concern is the traditional screed mix of Sharp sand & cement will crack, and then the crack will follow through to the large format tiles on the top

any thoughts on using this type of screed and any cracks given the varying depths of 15mm - 40mm ?

Love the levelling system! looks great