Tiling over old vinyl flooring

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Esined, Jan 22, 2019.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It will be much easier with the rooms empty. It is quite a good price as there will be 3 or 4 days work at least.

How is he handling things like the skirting board - is he removing them and re-fitting or tiling up the skirting and fitting quadrant ?

2. Esined

Esined New Member

I have no idea!
    But unfortunately because I'm skint I don't have a choice but to use him!
    The other quotes (literally around 11) came in between 750-1500!! (Nearly fainted!)

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

750-900 would be what I'd expect, just be careful you haven't got yourself a lame duck, will cost a lot more if you have to replace it if not up to much.

4. Esined

Esined New Member

It's either that or do it myself! I'm a single mum on disability unfortunately and have been waiting for almost 3 years to lay them down!! I've got to go for it otherwise I'll still have them in the cupboard for a further 10 years time!!!!
    (600x600 Porcelain Tiles)
    Ha ha ha!!

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Porcelain are a different kettle of fish to ceramic, just make sure the guy you use is a proper tiler or experienced builder and you have some form of written contact via text, email or whatever, in the small event it goes pear shaped.

6. Esined

Esined New Member

I've already screenshot every conversation with his details and agreement on quote etc!!!!!!
    (Let's hope he turns up and does the job properly !!) LOL!

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Nothing gets done at my address as I usually do my own work, the problem is I cant afford my prices.

robertpstubbs and Jord86 like this.
  8. Esined

Esined New Member

Hhhmmmmmm .....am I supposed to be laughing ??.....
    If so LOL
    If not....you're not funny.....????

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Laughing is good for the body's health according to so called experts!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

There was a similiar post a while back regarding floor tiling carried out by a pro but ended up being a terrible job

Of course, don’t want to prematurely raise alarm bells and be scare mongering but employing any tradesperson requires some prior research from you, the customer

Honestly not being negative but may i ask where did you get this contact from ?

Any recommendations from previous customers of his ?

What is his trade ?

Can he provide you with contact details of a couple of previous customers of his ?

Any honest and decent tradesperson will not mind any of the above questions but yes I can understand, may feel awkward to ask

Not trying to pee off any of the Pro guys on here but would welcome their thoughts on my post :)

Of course, hopefully you will end up with a pukker job at a reasonable price, a jolly nice fella that you in turn will be happy to recomend to others

I would also have several other questions to ask about the actual job before any tiles are laid

11. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Nearly 30 M of porc laid for under 500 notes including applying SBR ? What part of China and what decade do you live in?

Astramax and Jord86 like this.
  12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

As per Metros post, I think it's nonsense myself, and I hope I'm wrong, but I've got a feeling it may turn out to be a disaster in more ways than one. When I replied earlier with a figure I didn't know at that point they were porcelain, thought they were ceramic, and now the more I think about it the guys either made a mistake thinking they were ceramic, is semi retired so doing it for beer money, Polish or Eastern European doing it for peanuts, or a youngster with no experience. If it turns out to be kosher I'll have to have the guys number!

Astramax likes this.
  13. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

£150 cash in some areas of this green and pleasant land is easily doable. Not so easy is laying that much large format porc floor tiles in 3 days ;-) and over a dodgy substrate.

14. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You'll soon be able to gauge the bloke when he turns up with a fisher price tile cutter and a glass cutting wheel, and a bricklaying trowel.

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You missed out the Blu Tac.

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That’s exactly why I would be asking these questions as per my post above :rolleyes:

A bit of research is essential prior to making your choice of trades peep (in my opinion)

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

To be honest and fair Dave recommendation is by far the best approach and the way forward.

18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Clean it, SBR it, self level it, tile it.

19. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yeah, but it should be secondary to a large slice of common sense also, let's say 5 (11 really, but let's pretend) people have been round to see and quote the same job, one at 1500, the next 1300, 1050, 750 and then £450....... Wouldn't it occur to the homeowner "hmmn, hang on a moment, why is that one quote for 450 nowhere near the others, maybe the guy is blind, or can't do sums, or didn't realise what I wanted" etc etc? Spidey sense must surely be tingling, rather than think "oh great, I'll choose the cheapest but I still expect the same quality as the quote that was three times the price."

Reading the thread again, Denise has had 11quotes, 11. Now what does that tell you? It tells me that she was either in denial at how much professional tilers command for such a job and continued getting quote after quote to try to reduce the figure somehow, she says she's no money but without being funny she had the money to purchase the items once upon a time (porcelain is not cheap, certainly 30m isn't, and that's without all the ancillaries), she's found a guy that "felt sorry for her, and agreed to lay them for £450", and asks can they be laid on vinyl to save taking it up?

This has the hallmarks of a homeowner that is trying to get something for nothing, and a "Dai from the local pub said he'd do it for £450."

20. Esined

Esined New Member

I came on here for advice not sarcastic comments with nasty replys insinuating I'm telling lies or made up figures.
    I HAVE HAD 11 QUOTES
    and the 450 didn't start at 450 it started at 650....but because he actually felt sorry for me he came down to 450 after loads of bargaining messages to and from myself to him ....maybe you should all shut up being so nasty hiding behind these messages and get a life.
    What goes around comes around I believe in life.........spiteful pathetic little boys you are
    I'll go elsewhere for advice without idiots taking the **** out of me
    I hope you're all satisfied with that.
    Oh and I paid for them by waiting for the sale with cash my Mum gave me as a new home gift .....ok??????

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Astramax and Jord86 like this.