Tiling questions

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Tangoman, May 24, 2005.

1. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

I need to tile the area between the cupboards and the worktop in the kitchen.

Now my main concern with this is the number of sockets. I am guessing I really need to cut all the tiles first as required. What's the best tool for the cutting - don't want it with bits of tiles going top and bottom of the socket, but how do you cut two directions on the same tile?

How much do you allow extra per tile when calculating distances?

Cheers,

Tangoman

2. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

Electric tile cutter from Axminster.

worth the money, then sell it on e-bay.

runs like a table saw and is very accurate. Virtually no tiles wasted.

They even sell pencils for marking the tiles.

3. tangoman - set the splashback out:
    1) centre the extractor / hood space and work out from the middle either from a full tile or centre of the tile, depending on the size of the cut to the cupboard, minumum 1/3 rd of a tile. As this is your feature...
    2) Always start with a full tile from the worktop, and the cuts should be under the cupboard. Chimney's should be removed and tiled behind, rather than cutting up to them.
    3) Prior to tiling check all of the sockets height, if they are all different, then relocate sockets as they stand out from the tile courses, if they're out.

Note: The sockets should not be the dominant factor in setting out your tiling, if they're out.consider relocating them, as tiling is aesthetical.

4. when measuring a space for tiling, allow 15-20% wastage & cuts for straight tiling and 25-30% for diagonal tiling. Allow another 5-10% for larger tiles.

5. sorry, the type of cutter you'd require would be a water cutter, if you're d.i.y'ing tiling, consider the plasplug water cutter which is lightweight & cheap @ around £30.00 from most sheds. Invest in a manual tile cutter as in a rail / scribe version, again the d.i.y versions are cheap and throwaway, but good for small jobs, the straight cuts will be better with the scribe/rail cutter and also alot quicker. Don't use adhesive/grout all in one, but bucket adhesive, say bal and use powder grout to mix..

6. Tangoman

Cheers guys -
    I guess my main question is how do you cut a tile to fit a socket when the socket comes half way up the tile and goes half way into it, so you in effect need three cuts in the same tile. I do have an electric water cutter, but as the tile being cut is some way below the centre of the cutting disc, the cuts are always at an angle if I stop mid tile.

Cheers,

Tango

7. right scribe the vertical and water cut strips within the horizontal, and with nippers pull the strips off, give me your email & i'll send you a diagram if you want tango

8. Tangoman

Cheers - that should work!

Tangoman