Tiling shower walss

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Charlie1972, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Charlie1972

Charlie1972 New Member

Hi. I am looking to tile my shower walls which are plasterboard. Do I need to Premier or backboards or can I use waterproofing adhesive and tile directly on to the plasterboard. Thks

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

At the very least you would need to prime the plasterboard with SBR.
    You'd also need to grout extremely well and then seal the grout with several coats of good quality grout sealer once the grout is completely dry of all water.
    Others here will tell you that you need to tank the walls with a tanking slurry or mount tiling backerboards in front of the plasterboard, but it pretty much depends on how you plan to use the shower and how much of a catastrophe you'd consider it to be if you had to redo it all in a few years.

Charlie1972 likes this.
  3. Charlie1972

Charlie1972 New Member

OK thks. Thought I might need some sort of Premier but you read so much abt backing boards vapour barriers etc..

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

FWIW, the first shower I tiled was 30 years ago. I tiled without any primer/SBR directly onto normal plasterboard, i.e. not even the green moisture resistant stuff. The shower is still used every day. I can't say what's happening behind the tiles, but the wall looks pretty much the same as it did 30 years ago.
    I'm not suggesting you do the same, but just shared the information with you as evidence that it's more about good workmanship with the grout than it is with the material onto which the tiles are mounted.

Muzungu, Jord86 and Charlie1972 like this.
  5. Charlie1972

Charlie1972 New Member

Hi. Thks. Its hard to know wat to do these days there's that much scare mongering going on. And product's for everything. Lol. Cheers for the advice.