Tiling

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by tore81, May 11, 2018.

1. tore81

tore81 Well-Known Member

Wanting to tile over manhole cover!

Which has been tiled over previously causing tiles to crack. Is there a mat or a process to tile?

No issues with access as other manholes in the vicinity and has blocked previously and can gain access.

Any advice would be great thanks

2. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Post a pic up and let's have a look.

KIAB likes this.
  3. tore81

tore81 Well-Known Member

Any advice would be great even maybe a flexible adhesive would be better

Attached Files:

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

I recon tiles are cracking as cover is a thinish galvanised steel job which is flexing. Try standing on it and bob up and down .....can you feel / see the flex ?
    If so, limited life span with new tiles, even using flexible tile adhesive. The ady is only so flexible in real terms, problem is, tiles aint and will crack again

Replace cover with an inset cover which is designed to be tiled or screeded over, rubber seals so no smells will enter room and these wont flex, thus saving your tiles from cracking. Ok, the finish is you can see the outline of a manhole cover but you still keep the access available and solve the issue

https://www.drainagesuperstore.co.u...e-cover-and-frame-600-x-600mm-10-tonne-1.html

KIAB likes this.
  5. tore81

tore81 Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave!

Can see that's a great advice and looks the proper job

Trouble is I'd have to cut other tiles and it's right in a doorway. Very visual Plus pretty expensive as it's being hidden.

Any cheaper options

6. tore81

tore81 Well-Known Member

Would be fine to tile over as never had an issue with blockages and normally others get blocked me can access easy enough

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Is the current cover galvanised steel, slightly flexible when walked or bounced on ?

If it was case iron, then there wouldn’t be a problem

Any flex will once again crack and/or loosen tiles and grout, regardless of adhesive used

If you want to get rid of manhole and cover over with something solid, ready to tile, then someone else will have to give you advice - way beyond my knowledge

8. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

What's manhole serving, so annoying what peeps build them into an extension, rather than relocating them outside.

Dave is spot on, only proper solution is recessed tray cover, filled with concrete,which is then tiled on.

Various suitable recessed trays available, some more suitable for light duty foot traffic.

https://www.howegreen.com/access-covers/floor/index.php

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    DIYDave. likes this.