Timber decking on pre-existing concrete slab

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by andyb145, Jul 11, 2018.

1. andyb145

andyb145 New Member

Hi all.

We have a 12 x 8ft concrete slab at the back of our garden, that sits about 3 inches lower than the paved patio that surrounds it. We’d like to put some decking on the slab, and then a shed on top of a portion of the decking.

Any issues we might encounter? In particular, should there be a damp proof membrane for the whole of the slab, or just where it is contact with the decking joists? I was thinking of using Jouplast Plastic Adjustable Decking Risers to level the joists.

Thanks in advance!

Andy

2. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

Not used them , would be concerned about timber warping upwards and deck rocking , one nil to England

3. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

What joists are you intending to use

4. andyb145

andyb145 New Member

5. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

Hi ,sorry for late reply actually went to work today and no signal, . the joints look too expensive to me , wickes usually cheaper , I would fix to concrete with plastic packers to level and stop any warping or rocking of the deck , for long term I would use steel joists and stainless screws but I'm Ott and you should pay no attention , cheers

6. andyb145

andyb145 New Member

Ok, thanks, will have a look at Wickes.

What do you reckon about a damp proof membrane? Get one to cover the whole slab? Anything on top of the membrane?

7. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

No membrane required