Timber flooring- fully adhered or liquid batterns?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by clarky74, Mar 10, 2010.

1. clarky74

clarky74 New Member

I have a solid oak floor to do and was wondering if anyone has had experience with both fully adhered troweled system and the liquid batterns ie "saussage" like Sika T52.
    I have read liquid batterns are faster and allow for minor discrepancies in the sub floor. I have done many troweled on floors before but wanted to know if liquid batterns are as good?

2. termite

termite New Member

I now fit hardwoodfloors using Gripfill or Pinkgrip laid in strips 200mm apart. less messy and cheaper as there is no waste as when using tubs of glue, also easier,prime sub floor with pva mix to ensure adhesive sticks.Make sure boards are pressed down well.

3. !!

!! Active Member

Wouldn't let you fit my floor termite, don't like the sound of that at all.

I'd use audi's fav elastilion

4. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Pink grip!!!!!!! ***!!!!!!

5. termite

termite New Member

What are your reasons? Gripfill is the same as liquid floor adhesive only runnier of cause,even the smell is the same.It also sorts out uneven sub floors.Never had any probs, and it is much cheaper than elastilion

6. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Yeah course it is, think you should go tell evo-stik they are wasting millions of pounds on their laybond products.
    While your at it you could go tell all the firms making levelers and primers and the like to forget it and just bang a bit more gripfill onto the floor if it is uneven.
    I bet your jobs are a work of art :)

7. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Oh and while your on, gripfill will cover a 12m run if at 6mm bead.
    If you are also filling big gaps i imagine you will get half that.
    So @ 200mm centres you would need 40 tubes for a 6x4m room.
    Doesn't sound cheap to me!!!

8. termite

termite New Member

Thank you for all your help and knowledge, i will not use panel adhesive type products again, for anything but fitting window boards! but then perhaps not, it may not work for that job either.

9. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

"Gripfill is the same as liquid floor adhesive only runnier of cause"

so it's not the same then is it!!!

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Termite, dont waste your money on gripfill, use decorators mate instead, seriously you havent got a clue mate, leave the floor fitting to those who know what they are doing, I've done hundreds of floors and still get the odd one open up a touch, if I'd done them with gripfill everyone would have moved, tubs of sika for me.

11. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

bostik make blu tack too don't they?
    might try that ;)