Timber Flooring; Speed Bump due to historic leak

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by TomFL12, Oct 25, 2019.

1. TomFL12

TomFL12 New Member

We've got some timber flooring similar to the below in our kitchen:-

https://media.treehugger.com/assets/images/2018/07/IMG_3459.jpg.860x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

When we purchased the house we were advised that there had been a water leak in an adjacent cloakroom WC. The floor in that area has lifted and twisted so will need replacing in its entirity (not a problem).

However, where I suspected the water had tracked under the suspended floor and then been absorbed in to the Kitchen has a large, pronounced bump. I was hoping that with some life back in the property (and heat) the bump would drop and the strips dry out. So far, this hasn't been the case.

Any recommendations for repair/correction of the hump? Want to fit a door to the opening but this hump runs lenghtways into the door opening so can't!

Cheers,

2. TomFL12

TomFL12 New Member

To add; I suspect the floor was installed in '88 when the kitchen was extended, so the chances of the previous Lady living with it like it for 30 years is slim - I don't think the buckle is caused by poor installation, more swelling through moisture intake.

3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

You have to leave space for expanded floor to push down, so it might need a strip of floor removed close to wall. Might only require 20mm all sides.
    The hump in middle of floor could be then held down with very heavy weights sat on cardboard - concrete blocks, or very heavy toolbox full of tools for example.
    It might require one or two hidden screws in middle of hump to hold it down permanently later.
    I am a plumber and not a joiner, but just telling you what I have witnessed and that is what a joiner did.

4. TomFL12

TomFL12 New Member

Cheers. I was hoping that given the age it's not been caused by being 'too tight', but after a week of living in the place there isn't much of a difference in it 'drying out'.

Wondering if i don't run a circular saw through the middle to remove one strip, let it drop then attempt a repair with some removed... Trouble is the length it effects is probabaly about 3m/10ft