Time to reconsider buying Chinese Products?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Smokey, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

We probably have all had worries in the past about products purchased which show either as "Made in China", or "Made in PRC", ie the same place.
    Now is the time to reconsider such purchasing decisions for many of us.

Their quality often leaves much to be desired, as it has for the recent NHS purchases of medical & PPE.

Besides their multiple breaches of human rights, the recent muzzling of the many medical staff/ professors who tried to alert the world earlier on re Covid19 says it all; they'll never change.
    And today, more threats from them regards our reviewing of their involvement in the 5G roll out; quite right. Such arrogance.
    One has to wonder if the virus was strategic decision of their communist leaders in the CCP.

The UK's weak takeover laws allows foreign entities to buy UK companies with virtually zero
    oversight; it'd be unforgivable if China now buys even more of UK plc with many companies
    share prices severely weakened.
    These 2 guys on YouTube, lived in China for many years (One is married to a Chinese Doctor) give a fascinating insight into what's really going on there, and I recommend viewing their channels.

• +

2. Bogle Crag

Bogle Crag Screwfix Select

Plenty of other countries with dubious HR records, if we stop buying we would be barefoot

KEEPGREEN likes this.
  3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Sadly almost impossible, buy something from a well known European maker, turn it over and "made in china"!:(

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Watching the the governor of New York asking for firms to make basic items like masks and plastic aprons makes me think the world needs to stop looking oversees for cheap products. He pleated that they must be able to make basic material's themselves. 3.15 minutes in. I'll never ever forget this. Just as bad in UK. Where are out manufacturers? Gee. Slow boat from China that's where... Honest. This must make everyone ask what going on. It's Just crazy...

Heat likes this.
  5. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

plenty of generic chinese plumbing products sold in the uk with English/European product names,A certain company even advertises some goods as unbranded :D

anyone can bulk buy direct from china and market the products in their own packaging,buyer beware and all that. Diy fiddlers love the cheap imports.

http://www.gao-ao.com/about_us.asp?Title=about

6. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi All
    In a small way I make Ham Radio Data interfaces.
    I design the printed circuit boards for my products.
    In UK I had to order maybe 100/200 boards minimum to be taken seriously
    Up popped a Chinese company. Wonderful product latest technology
    I can purchase 5 boards to prove them then go ahead with I bigger order.
    Nothing is to much trouble. Online quote is available near immediately.
    I never got the quality or the help from any UK companys.
    Thats just my take

Johnny M

Rad87 likes this.
  7. [QUOTE="Mr John Melvin, <snip>
    I never got the quality or the help from any UK companys.
    Thats just my take

Johnny M[/QUOTE] <snip>

That s the same experience I have, No UK based pcb fab house seems capable of doing small batches, its a joke. Some boards I make myself if its single or double sided, anything more complex goes out to a fab house, usually the turn around is pretty quick, one time I had to change the traces to accommodate a different pin out, no problem, just email the change and its sorted, you wont get that service here.
    --

8. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi Tux,
    Well like you say. I started off with felt tip pens. Then sticky tapes.
    Then go thru all the Photo/Develop/ Clean drill it took a long time.
    Now its a PC send the files. Order 5 boards Test modify if required.
    Then away we go with bigger order.
    The dearest bit is the carriers costs.
    Wonderful.
    Plus I enjoy my King pawn curry egg fried rice

Johnny M

9. I think most of us who design electronics went from dalo pen > photo and develop and some sort of scrub and clean with the odd laser printer thrown in when they became readily available, the Chinese fab houses realised there was a market for its services and ran with it and do a very good job of it.

Funny you mentioned fried rice, not sure if our local take-a-ways are closed and I could murder a fried rice something !

10. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi Tux
    In fact on Sunday I got a nice Easter welcome from the PCB company I use .
    I thanked her and said about a King Prawn curry.
    She returned with a pic of a KP Curry.MMMMMMM
    So its good by me still.
    But Smokey I do take your point OK.
    I dont know what happend to Great Britain and making things.
    I just feel the MP type guys are out of there depth now on the 19 thing
    ok this is a new experiance for us all.
    But where did all the Expert Professors come from.
    Me ex 30 years NHS.

Johnny M

11. Sending you a picture of a curry ? would be better to send you the recipe !

The mp type guys are .........well I cant say what I think here.

One of the reasons we don't make things like we used to do is because its cheaper to have it made in places who will make it cheaper but after this we need to look at why we don't make it here, that's going to take a massive shift in thinking.

Those experts where here all along, its just most people never took them seriously, its always been politics before science, unfortunately we now live in a time when we need facts not opinions, to borrow a phrase from David Kirkald :)

12. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

I was just hoping Manny Shinwell would return.
    Giving my age away now.
    Shout of do u want a cup of tea.

Take care
    Johnny M

13. I doubt there is anyone on the other side capable of crossing the floor for a bit of fisticuffs, would liven things up though, it would give someone a reason to run to the fridge....... I never met the man, it was required reading when I took military history :)

14. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi.
    Only military history I got was National Service in the RAF.
    History was my DI Drill Instructor had a size 12 boot.
    Looking back I enjoyed my 2 years.

But joking aside I agree with Smoky in a way.
    We do need to get into proper jobs again.
    I live near Newcastle you could always hear the starting buzzers going
    lots of boots on the flags.
    No longer I am afraid.
    So whats the answer ?

Johnny M

15. MY drill instructor also had a size 12 boot.

I live near the old bicc cables plant, the entire town was based around it at one time, back in the days we made decent cables, its almost all housing and retail now. Maybe part of the answer is lowering costs somehow so the manufacturing returns and we move away from finance and banking.

This situation we are in should be a wake up call that we cant rely on buying from elsewhere for everything, It would take a seismic shift in thinking and the will to achieve it, cant see that happening anytime soon though.