Time wasting quotes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bathroom boy, Feb 1, 2008.

1. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Is it just me or does everyone get a number of timewasters who just want a cheap job.

2. tightenit

tightenit New Member

Increasingly so - either want a cheap job or a free quote for insurers to match up with a pal's cheaper quote.I get a lot of nudge nudge insurance quote requests.'We can do a deal' - yeah right, your cell or mine?

3. Simon J

Simon J New Member

Yes! I guess it's just a pain in the **** part of the job.

I've got used to sounding out folk when I go and see them who I think are either after a cheap job or have no clue what is a realistic price to refurb. a bathroom.

Ok, you have to go and see them, but at least if you sound them out you don't waste anymore time doing pointless quotes.

I throw a ball-park figure at them after I've listened to what they want and catch their immediate reaction (face expression and verbal comment) if I think they are out of their depth when it comes to the price of the job, I never follow up with a quote.

The next time I get asked to do a quote for an insurance job I might charge them £40 for the quote with the agreement I'll knock give them back the £40 if I get the work. anyone else do this??

4. tightenit

tightenit New Member

Big heads, big ideas and no cash upfront sums up my recent customer wannabees. On a more serious note, if I could offer credit payment agreements, deferred payments or 'unbelievable offers' I might fare better.
    Still prefer small jobbing work locally - why knock yer pan out for the sake of a 07 reg Vito when you can be a real plumber (according to Dick P)and turn up in a rusty but paid for van (or ex-racehorse now retired, resplendent with a cart). Hi Ho..............

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Just keep an eye on the percentage of quotes that turn into jobs. Mine have been about 75% successful for many years without much variation.

If I noticed a big difference I would assume I was too cheap or too expensive. Once most of your work comes from recommendations it is easier.

6. Simon J

Simon J New Member

Exactly 50% of last years work came from either referral and/or repeat work. Appears to be quite good? Guess I must be doing something right!

7. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Just keep an eye on the percentage of quotes that
    turn into jobs. Mine have been about 75% successful
    for many years without much variation.

If I noticed a big difference I would assume I was
    too cheap or too expensive. Once most of your work
    comes from recommendations it is easier.

All the Trading Standards advice seems to be get three quotes so if you are converting 33% then you aren't doing too bad. I reckon the longer you trade the higher the conversion ration goes because you get (or should get) more and more work by refferal.

When we don't get a job we always assume it's because we were too expensive but it's easy for a customer to say that, the truth may be that they just didn't like you.

If your conversion rate slips look at your sales technique, we all have to sell as well as do a good job and get our prices right!

8. Jimthecob

Jimthecob New Member

Evening muckers,recentley quoted for a wiz kid mid 30s wears a cheap suit,drives a leaased beemer,and says ye ye ye whilst you are trying to talk to him,you know the type,a real Cheshire wxxxer.Gave him the money side of the job and he clammed up I think at this point he must have had a bowel movement.Just winds me up such a time wasting *.Cheers muckers.

[Edited by: admin4]

9. Bonedry

Bonedry New Member

My favourite quote is "Do you fancy a casher????"

I think they feel they would be doing ME a favour by paying in cash! Obviously dont realise this is a business.

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I always say, yes cash will be fine -but the same price....so off they go and get the cheque book :)

11. plummit

plummit New Member

You are a business,
    Fine plumbers you may well be, But you have to sell yourself.
    Chatting on this forum, alongside of other plumbers, who understand plumbing, cuts no ice with prospective customers.
    You need to be a plumber and a sales man.
    A salesman turns up in a car, dressed well, and turns the customer on. It is his job !!.
    You turn up in dirty overalls, with a dirty van, and assume that they realise that you are a better plumber.
    Gift of the gab, goes a hell of a long way. Back this up with quality plumbing (they will never see it though), good customer care, and word of mouth travels further than you could possibly imaging.
    I know of many a plumber, that never holds data bases on boiler/fire servicing. This is fundermental business.
    The clients that you get from clients, * look after them.
    You may well be a good plumber, but you need to be equally good at selling yourself.

12. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

You may well be a good plumber, but you need to be equally good at selling yourself.

Spot on plummit :)

13. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

A lot of them get a shock when you give them a quote of over two grand for a full refit including tiling, they don't seem to comprehend the work and time involved.
    One last week asked how long will it take, a couple of days?
    Some are just barking,quoted a radiator in a conservatory last week, she wanted chrome pipe and a single rad, gave her a quote after working out the size of the rad, she got back to me saying that her dad insists on a double in copper and has arranged another plumber. But may be just as well as she couldn't decide on anything.

14. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Try and suss the dodgy ones on the phone - does not always work though :(

15. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Every now and again you get a customer that has called you over just to pick your brains for an hour. I've got very good at spotting these pieces of * so always pop out to the van to get something and simply drive off.

16. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Nice one Bathstyle

17. plummit

plummit New Member

I have friends who work for the ford motor company,
    Ok they work shifts, but **** me they are on £25.00 an hour regardless of working or not.

18. sussexplumb1

sussexplumb1 New Member

The majority of quotes for people I don't know are a waste of time theyre only looking for the cheapest quote. Best working for people who know you do a good job and charge a reasonable price.

That said regualr customer urgently wanted a bath taken out and a shower putting in so went up on a Sunday measured it all told her what would be needed and I would drop of a firm quote - next day she phones saying don't bother I had someone else round and gave them the job straightaway - so I sent a billfor half an hours time and told her not to waste peoples time especially on a Sunday just to get advice. I did get some nasty reply on the ansswerphone but didn't bother listening to it!

19. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

You are a business,
    Fine plumbers you may well be, But you have to sell
    yourself.
    Chatting on this forum, alongside of other plumbers,
    who understand plumbing, cuts no ice with prospective
    customers.
    You need to be a plumber and a sales man.
    A salesman turns up in a car, dressed well, and turns
    the customer on. It is his job !!.
    You turn up in dirty overalls, with a dirty van, and
    assume that they realise that you are a better
    plumber.
    Gift of the gab, goes a hell of a long way. Back this
    up with quality plumbing (they will never see it
    though), good customer care, and word of mouth
    travels further than you could possibly imaging.
    I know of many a plumber, that never holds data bases
    on boiler/fire servicing. This is fundermental
    business.
    The clients that you get from clients, * look after
    them.
    You may well be a good plumber, but you need to be
    equally good at selling yourself.

Some very good points there 'plummit'.

Give them a verbal 'ballpark' over the phone and ask if they're interested. If they are, site visit, knock their socks off & then send them a written 'ESTIMATE' with bold print on the bottom.......WILL BEAT ANY LIKE-FOR-LIKE ESTIMATE.

If you don't know how to price jobs correctly & make money, get a job in ASDA!!!

Remember, the best 'barrowboys' know what it's like to have a rumble in their belly!!

20. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Give them a verbal 'ballpark' over the phone and ask if they're interested. If they are, site visit, knock their socks off & then send them a written 'ESTIMATE' with bold print on the bottom.......WILL BEAT ANY LIKE-FOR-LIKE ESTIMATE.

I must admit I like that DP I'll take that on board, theres too many timewasters out there who have not got a clue how much it's going too cost and if they want a cheap job they had better go elsewhere cos I don't do cheap but I am reasonable, I'm not out to rip people off. I do a nice job for a fair price.