Timer Fan gone funny

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by fred812, Jun 10, 2018.

1. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Noticed that the timer fan in the loo is behaving strange.

Sometimes (rare though) it works fine.

Other times it takes ages to come on, like a minute, and switches off immediately instead of running on.

I'm assuming this is going to be that the fan electronics have gone wrong and I need to replace it but just wondering if there is anything else i should check? Its a Manrose Gold about 18 months old.

Thanks.

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

1st thing to do is isolate power to fan , and then check supply is dead

Remove cover to fan and take a look inside. These fans aren’t mega powerful but do suck up dust and fluff and this can and does build up around the fan blades and motor spindle

Spin the blades by hand - do they seem to rotate with little resistance ?

If fluffy and gungy, soft brush and ur hoover and give it a clean, see if this improves rotation - with power off

Cover back on, power back on and see if any improvement

If same as, uv guessed it, more than likely the pcb is knackered. If ur an electronics wiz, you could test components and replace if anything has actually failed (in theory)

More than likely, scrap fan and replace with new :)

I’ve recently fitted a couple of vent axia 100mm fans and at least they come with a 2 year guarantee

3. Peter208

Peter208 Active Member

I fitted wicks own make fan over 15yrs ago and it's still works no problem..just saying!

4. fred812

fred812 Screwfix Select

Thanks all, checked it out and the blades turn freely and the whole thing is free of dust. Think its a replacement job!

5. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

My eyesight must be be failing. I clicked on this thread thinking it was about Fanny Fun Time.

6. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Nothing wrong with your eyesight!

It's your mind that's going.