Tiny bubbles in Johnstones durable eggshell

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Marlin1, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Marlin1

Marlin1 New Member

Has anyone experienced the issue I have with Johnstones trade acrylic durable eggshell. Its quite thick and dries to rubbery state. I'm applying to mdf after 2 coats of leyland acrylic primer undercoat, using a foam roller. It seems to dry with lots of very tiny bubbles on the surface. Its the same on the second coat after sanding, so I don't think the primer is causing it.
    Trying varying how thickly I apply, how much pressure on the roller, and speed, but not sussed it yet.

I will try some floetrol.
    Any other ideas?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's the foam roller, use an Ice Fusion or microfibre sleeve.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  3. Marlin1

Marlin1 New Member

It's been a while, with very little success so far. Have tried, with and without adding water, with and without Floetrol, different types of foam rollers, different types of synthetic and microfibre rollers, rolling slow, rolling fast, laying off, not laying off.

Rollers include:
    ProDec Ice Fusion 4"
    Purdy White Dove Jumbo Mini 4"
    Rota Professional Silver Stripe Jumbo Roller Sleeves 4"
    Prodec Advance Mini Roller Sleeves 4" Flocked Foam

The end result is that the 2nd coat is always worse than the first. The Ice Fusion and Purdy rollers are the best. Prodec Flocked Foam is ok, but doesn't hold much paint so it's tricky to use.
    Still get a bubbled, and then crater covered finish more often than not. As you see from the photos the craters are up to 1mm diameter.

I have ordered some more of the same paint, probably throwing good money after bad - but the time already spent, and the prospect of sanding and repainting the 20+ components already done to use a different paint is worth a last throw of the dice.

Any other suggestions before I give up on this paint?

PXL_20221220_104342739.jpg PXL_20221220_104313835.jpg

4. Man of gwent

Man of gwent New Member

As already mentioned it’s the roller sleeve all will leave a degree of texture