Tiny gap between filler panel and wall - how to finish?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by lokkie, Dec 2, 2019 at 4:23 PM.

1. lokkie

lokkie New Member

Hi,

I have scribed an end panel for a kitchen unit and cut with a plunge saw on a track.

Panel meets the wall nicely, but as good as it is, it is not 100% perfect, so there is still a visible gap down the whole length - the panel is flush against with another wall so it is quite noticeable.

How should I go about filling this tiny gap (probably talking 0.5mm to 1mm in places)?

Or what other advice is there?

Thanks all!

*I do have a small pot of touch up paint, so fill and paint? I think I would need to fill along the entire butted up piece as just filling the gap on its own probably would stay in?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 4:29 PM
  2. jackelliott07

jackelliott07 Member

Hard to tell from the picture, but could you not just caulk & paint if needed?

Apologies in advance, the above may be bad advice, it's really difficult to tell what the actual issue is, do you have another picture to set the scene?

3. lokkie

lokkie New Member

Don;t know why picture is showing in portrait!

It may be hard to see, but the cut is a tiny bit jaggedy (may be down to my saw - cut is perfect, but quality of saw and track isn;t great)!

Attached Files:

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

It's often better to make a feature of the change of panel than to try to hide it. I've had some pretty good results where I've run a file lengthways up and down the gap to make matching beveled edges on both sides of the gap, and then filled the gap with some flexible filler. That way, if one side expands more than the other, it'll be less obvious than if you had done your utmost to hide this, but all your efforts were wasted because when wood wants to move, it's going to move, and you can do very little to prevent it.

5. lokkie

lokkie New Member

I'd be quite happy to leave it, as long as the gap was uniform, which it isn;t. And if I file the panel, I'll still be filing a wonky line unless I fix it first.
    I might attempt one last trim to try and even it up, although my track saw has just packed up after only one panel...that'll teach me to order from Rutlands! :D

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Caulk and paint (in a nutshell)

Caulk, everyone seems to have their own preferred brand, I usually use Evo-Stick brand but I’m sure plenty of others will do the job

So once panel is in place and secured, cut nozzle to size and pump in plenty of caulk so it’s not just sitting on the surface

Force it onto gap with a scraper/finger so you get some depth behind the fill

Clean away excess and smooth caulk with a wet finger and/damp sponge and allow to dry

Might shrink back a little so may need a 2nd fill, again remove excess and smooth over

Once dry, paint over with wall colour paint, can overlap panel a little with paint and this (along with caulk) should cover over chips (if small, will certainly help to disguise)

Some emulsions can ‘craze’ with some caulks, if this is the case, use a stain block type paint over caulk 1st and then emulsion

I would think caulk and paint would be a fairly standard method used here as there’s always gonna be the odd tiny gap however tight panel is cut

7. lokkie

lokkie New Member

Thanks DIYDave, if a trim doesn't get it perfect I expect this is what I will do.