Tiny Tiny Tiny Plaster Cracks

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by HugeWesty, Feb 12, 2020.

1. HugeWesty

HugeWesty New Member

So my new house was covered in artex. I got the whole house plastered and overall happy. However when inspecting some of the walls in my bedroom, the artex seemed lose so when scraping the high points, the artex all came off leaving the old plaster/render which was very very dry.

I asked the plasterer before doing this wall whether the plaster would take or whether it would dry too quick and he said he'll use some sealer or something else.. . Anyway the walls dried super quick turning pink in a day whereas other walls taking a week.

I am now left with lots of tiny tiny cracks. I've tapped and plaster not coming away from the wall.

Plasterer is saying paint would cover it, or if I wanted could be reskimmed, or plasterboarded.

What should I do/be happy with/what is safe? The cracks seem too numerous and tiny to be filled - so I guess that leaves me with painting or re-skimming? Dont really want to plasterboard...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Active Member

Re skim, plain and simple. No paint is going to fix photo 3.

HugeWesty likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Would be inclined to line it with WallRock Fibreliner plus 180, exactly what it's designed for.

HugeWesty likes this.
  4. jackelliott07

jackelliott07 Active Member

The technical term is crazing, it can happen when plaster dries out too quickly. As mentioned above though, unlikely paint will hide it.

If it was only a very small area, you could have just knocked it out and filled, but it looks like you have quite a lot of it. So best option might be a re-skim.

HugeWesty likes this.
  5. Astramax

I totally agree with Astramax on this, if the plaster remains in a sound condition all it requires is minor making good with Toupret or Easifil, quick sand over, sized and covered with Wallrock Fibreliner plus 180...............job done.

6. Astramax

Yes Astramax and another good thing in it's favour is it's 'paste the wall' so a win, win situation.

7. HugeWesty

HugeWesty New Member

Hi all, thanks - the mist coat took well - I just applied to see how it would look and its covered everything even with a watery mist coat.

Im pretty sure I could get the guy to come back and reskim for me - but this will take time and then further time for plaster to dry.... Is there any better long term benefit etc to reskimming vs just painting and leaving?

Thanks

8. Abrickie

Abrickie Active Member

If you’re going to do it, do it right :)

9. Wayners

Wayners Well-Known Member

Valspar base coat will fix that. Can be applied to plaster. Better if had never happened but if it's solid just coat and paint

10. hk321

hk321 New Member

you can fix it with plaster.. as i saw..