Tips for cutting in

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by scatter, Jan 13, 2004.

1. scatter

scatter New Member

Can anyone offer some advice for cutting in? I don't seem to get a really neat finish (especially on the wall\ceiling join).

Tried masking tape on the ceiling, but this just removes paint from the ceiling (including the low adhesive stuff). Masking tape on woodwork seems ok.

Is it a case of laying off the vodka the night before to steady the hand?

2. che

che New Member

1st make sure you're using a decent brush to cut in, not a hp one from B&Q, somthing thats worn in helps, take your time as with most trades the more you do the easy it gets.

3. che

che New Member

1st make sure you're using a decent brush to cut in, not a 10p one from B&Q, somthing thats worn in helps, take your time as with most trades the more you do the easy it gets.

4. Ben

Ben New Member

Don't put too much paint on your brush when cutting in. Also, try not to start painting your straight line right up against the ceiling/wall join. What I mean is if you are cutting in the top of the wall, when you put the brush to the wall, stay a fraction off the ceiling/wall joint, then work the brush up slowly and steadily. It really is something you can only get better with by having a lot of practice. I use a 2" brush made by Acorn, it's got a wooden handle and I have had it a couple of years and it rarely sheds a hair. Good luck! Ben

5. ColG

ColG New Member

Use a decent brush of a good size and as ben says, work upto the join so that the brush isn't overloaded with paint.

Col

6. Thermo

Thermo New Member

dont put to little paint on either or that causes problems, bit of a balancing act really!

7. Maintenance Man

Maintenance Man New Member

Is it better to cut the wall to the ceiling or the other way round?

8. kesh

kesh New Member

Paint the ceiling first.

- short & sweet -

9. Dewy

Dewy New Member

I agree with kesh. paint falls downwards not up so paint the highest 1st & work your way down or your lovely wall finish is likely to get the ceiling colour where you dont want it.

10. topman

topman New Member

don't try and be to precise when cutting in, allow paint to just go onto the cieling (i.e 1mm ) also when painting skirting boards let paint come onto the wall by the same amount.then when looking up or down the line will appear straight.