Titan heavy duty concete breaker

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Andy7sqn, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Andy7sqn

Andy7sqn New Member

Breaker stopped working the other day so took it into our local dept. to see if they could fix it, I was told they do not repair these and I have to throw it away and buy a new one,,, after many heated words I left promising never to buy anything else from them again if this is how they try to empty your bank account and their contribution to care for the environment. Does any body know if these can be fixed? and where would you search to find a repairer? I am in Sleaford Lincs.

2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

Why would you expect them to repair it that's not their business

pppmacca43 and BillyBobToo like this.
  3. Andy7sqn

Andy7sqn New Member

I would expect them to repair it the same way as every other shops repair stuff they sell.

4. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

No they don’t if I buy a pair of trainers and a year later the stitching comes undone I can’t take them back to the shop lol

5. Andy7sqn

Andy7sqn New Member

I woulddn't expect the stitching in a pair of trainers repaired, something you could quite easily do yourself but let's talk about something serious, if you bought a telly from Currys and it went wrong 3 years down the line would you throw it away and buy a new one or would you get Currys to fix it? I was hoping I would get some advice on here but seems I am in the wrong place.

6. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Depends if it was under guarantee still, if it was I would expect them to repair or replace, if not I would expect to throw it away and buy a new one, or seek a repair from an independant company

Andy7sqn likes this.
  7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’m guessing you purchased the breaker from Screwfix as Titan is one of their own brands

But unclear where you returned it to for repair ?

Perhaps you could clarify where you returned the breaker to

Most Titan tools come with a 2 year warranty - was the breaker past this warranty period ?

Problem with repairing own brand tools is that there are no manufacturers spare parts available for any Titan tools, no service, no back up, no technical advice line - zero after service (apart from warranty period)

They are a cheap tool, good for the money but once broken, thought of as a throw away item - I don’t fully agree with this either on several levels

Generic parts like brushes, drive belts, chucks, are easy to match up and replace

Don’t know what’s up with yours, if your handy, maybe worth taking it apart and looking to see the issue if you can work it out and identify the problem

One company you can try is Solent Tools. They have technical details on these tools and can often match a part from one brand that supplies spares, which will be identical to the part used on your Titan - much like parts are shared across several car brands

Worth giving them a call if you know the issue and parts required

Can’t blame a tool service desk for not touching such tools as considered ‘BER’ (beyond economical repair) and they also can’t get the original spares

So ….. just where did you return the tool to ?

https://www.solenttools.co.uk/

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  8. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

What did you pay for it? Probably under £100

Take you care for a repair and it will be £80-£100 per hour ...

Repairing and testing the breaker will take a minimum of an hour maybe two ... so are you prepared to pay £100-150 to repair an item when a new one will be cheaper?

You chose it becasue you wanted a cheap tool, had you wanted a decent one, three or five year warranty and repairs available so stop waste then maybe you should have bought a better quality brand.

pppmacca43 likes this.
  9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Cable issue maybe? Never very good quality and maybe bust inside near handle. Check power is getting to trigger.....
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-ac-n...MIjcl6MyvJhKqjhAcaUaAnuZEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    A cheap non contact tester and run along cable and at trigger/power switch area and it should flash and beep if there is power.

If cable is live but trigger is not then a break at tool cable entry point. Takes all of 5 seconds to test. Just shorten cable and reconnect. Basic diy job. Had drills. Fans and mixer all get that fault. It's just the cable being tugged and pulled while using..

Dyson vacuum cleaner had same fault to and east fix.

It's where its clamped at tool entry point causes it to snap inside..

Andy7sqn likes this.
  10. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

BnQ don't, garden centres don't, no retailer does (garages excepted, at a cost) unless it comes under the guarantee and even then it may be an exchange item and the defunct one binned.

11. FlyByNight

Had it happen on a Bosch Drill at the moulded plug end and I needed it. Called Bosch service and they gave me two options - return under warranty, or do it myself, and they would note it on the tool record that it had been approved. Five minutes later, back in business and still going over 10 years later!

Andy7sqn and Wayners like this.
  12. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I've got a titan sds and that too had bust cable fault. I replaced cable with a much longer 7m one. Here's the funny bit. Mother in law got the old shortened sds cable on her hairdryer. Ha... Its about 2.5m long and heavy rubber and she likes it. Well happy with a longer one.o_O Pulled it out the bin for the hairdryer fix as happened all at same time. Result.

Andy7sqn likes this.
  13. FlyByNight

The mind boggles

Wayners likes this.
  14. Andy7sqn

Andy7sqn New Member

Was doing it for a friend who was at work, out of warranty by less than a year (under 3 years old) returned to the same branch where it was purchased. Realise the 'own brand' issue but if they are going to sell 'own brand' items then surely there should be some back up service, will take it apart myself.
    Thanks for the reply and advice.