titan sds faulty

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by edward scott, Jun 12, 2018.

1. edward scott

edward scott New Member

hi i have a titan sds drill ttb278sds and 13w5102112 what ever that means. basically the sds drill bits wont stay in and some say it needs new chuck , some say carbon brushes. either way i have tried to see if it is chuck but have to get a pair of clip pliers and cant see where to check if its bushes or is it simply easier to throw away. i have a bosch hammer drill and wish it could be date as i have a few sds drill bits

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Probably find chuck is gummed up with crud, stopping the locking collar from moving fully to engage sds bit, or you might be lucky with just adding a spot of grease to lubricate the inners of the chuck.

If greasing doesn't solve problem, you might find some degreaser will sort the chuck out,chuck is removeable, so soak it overnight, or strip it down if possible.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zep-commercial-contractors-solvent-degreaser-500ml/2271f

http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/pa_1404733.pdf

P:S: What's carbon brushes have to do with loose sds bit.:confused:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    edward scott likes this.
  3. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Does not need degreaser even. As a first off, try meths, paraffin, isopropanol ... If it is gummed up, anyt of those may help dssolve the much and free it up. Whatever is used though., it will be essential to put some lubricant back in.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Paraffin:eek:, impossible to find it around herewhere it sold by the gallon in garages,etc, I sometimes use white spirit.

Bartoline Premium Paraffin - 4ltrs can £8...:eek: Darn ripoff.

5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

6. Wayners

Wayners Active Member

I always grease my chuck. Oh er. . Anyway. Get and spray with wd-40 then grease up .Use vasiline if you got no grease

7. Pollowick

Josh.91, KIAB and Wayners like this.
  8. edward scott

edward scott New Member

i was told that it could be the carbon brushes

9. edward scott

edward scott New Member

cheers pal how do i remove chuck

10. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Just looked at manual properly,rather naff,removing chuck is 3 jaw not sds one,as 3 jaw has has sds spline, so main chuck is a nightmare to remove, like a few of the Makita, a whole machine strip down.

11. Pollowick

Just think about it. The carbon brushes provide the electrical connection to the rotating part of teh motor. How can anyone suggest that they are linked to the failure of an SDS chuck. I would suggest that you avoid that "adviser" totally in future.

12. edward scott

edward scott New Member

i have looked at the manual that i have as shown above and there is only part to remove the chuck that you can attach not the actual chuck on the drill itself