TITAN SDS Plus drill bits

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Lokkars Daisy, Jun 12, 2012.

1. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I had to get it today LD - needed it to carry on from the old smoker SDS.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Yes. They really do make superb door stops! :)

3. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

4. J.P.

J.P. New Member

5. The Cap'n has a self-imposed reputation to maintain. Only the best is good enough...

Me, I prefer the adage; it ain't the tools you use, it's the way you use 'em

6. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Core drills with an SDS can be problematic - the clutch can slip easily.

You want a DBM080 for core drilling

I am sure you will manage the one hole though JP

7. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I think you misunderstand my genuine enthusiasm for Titan Drills - they really are the best door-stop - ever!

8. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Cripes Lec - average price for that Makita core drill is what some £220 - no way can I warrant spending that sort of dosh for two holes -  but thanks anyway m8..:)

i reckon the ol Titan is gonna do the biz tbqh - its the same old thing - let the drill do the work and don't try to shove the core drill through the wall, 5 kg rebound is not bad really. well its not really 5 kg if you take the snapback into account, the force is compounded and stuff so its a lot more then 5 kg really.

9. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Titans will snap your wrist in a flash - be careful! Their so called clutch is useless!

10. J.P.

J.P. New Member

I've had a drill jam when drilling a very deep hole with a 100mm core..I must say when they catch and whip your hand round onto the wall it flipping well hurts to say the least

11. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Seriously though, thats why I absolutely H A T E cheap drills - stick a big core bit  on one and prepare to have your face smashed or wrist broken - I have seen both happen to other people and its not nice. The guy who got hit in the face when his drill caught not only had a broken nose and teeth knocked out, he fell off a stepladder and broke his wrist! :(

12. Lectrician

Thats whay I said "I am sure you will manage your hole JP" - If you core quite often, even smaller holes, a proper core drill is what you want.

5kg rebound JP?  Not when coring - rotary only!

13. Lectrician

Going back 10 years or so, we used to have a large drill for drilling joists with an auger bit.  Very powerful.  You had to be careful if it got stuck as the drill will pull out of your hands if you were not prepared for it.  There was a 'lock on' button (I never see the point) which you could knock easily by mistake.

We leant the drill to a builder and when he dropped it back he looked like the elephant man.  The drill had snagged while he was drilling ceiling joists, the drill tearing out of hands as smacking is head time and time again against the joist and drill.  Never seen injuries like it, he was a right state!

14. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Lec ditto, cocur, Makita fitted with an angle drill, great for between joists but because of the gearing it has some torque. It also has a dreaded lock on button, my pal was using his above his head and for some reason it caught his shirt and drew into his shoulder causing a nasy wound.
    Whilst I was using mine I lost control of it, somehow the lock on button had been on ? I could only watch as the whole drill rotated smashing against joists as it did broke the handle before it finally tore the plug out .
    Warning to anyone buying such a drill , disable the lock on button before use

15. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Best thing to do LD is go on a weight training course and then use the drill..

16. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

17. J.P.

J.P. New Member

18. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

19. J.P.

J.P. New Member

20. Lectrician