Titan TTB579PLN 204mm Planer Thicknesser Infeed table level

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Anthony_S, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Anthony_S

Anthony_S New Member

So, ordered one of these yesterday and set it up today.

Thought I would check to see if the infeed and outfeed are parallel. Put a straight edge across the top and the infeed dips down slightly. The right edge of the infeed is lower than the left edge.

Is there anyway of adjusting either tables to make them parallel?

Thanks
    Anthony

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I have one of these, and quite honestly the planer is not that accurate. I found you could "adjust" the tables by leaning on them a little, and the fence is pretty similar. However, don't be too despondent. For a cheap machine it's a very handy little beast. The thicknesser part works well. What I have done is make a much longer bed for the thicknesser out of 18mm ply, which helps with longer sections, (and at the same time, made my own guard, tie wrapped out the safety (at your own risk) and thrown the stupid plastic protector away - it gets blocked easily with any serious use.

Keep those bearings well oiled, and you can put a hell of a lot of timber through that little beast in no time. Don't be tempted to take off more than about 1mm at a time.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have the same, I rarely plane anything wide on this and probably only use about 50mm of its width.

As Rusty says, it is a good little machine for the money the main drawbacks are the safety locks and the noise, boy is it loud

5. Anthony_S

Anthony_S New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I gave it a quick go last night and everything came out square. I think the trick is to press the stock down on the outfeed table all the way through rather than shifting from infeed to outfeed as it goes through.

It is a bit noisy, but ok with ear defenders on.

I've seen youtube vids with the ply thicknesser bed - think i'll do that one as it makes sense.
    Also seen diy fences - might do that one eventually.

KIAB likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There is an eastern european guy that did some extensive mods to the machine. It is on YourTube somewhere

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

This one.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Isn't the one I was thinking about. As per usual when you are looking for it, can't find it.

He had a good description on how he disabled the safety micro switches, which sounds extreme but are a real pain. As well as the fence he build some infeed and outfeed tables for the thicknesser and a mod for the planer top.

Sometimes you just marvel at what they can do over there with some basic kit and produce some really good results. Some of the tools in this one are quite interesting - especially the belt sander

Like to know where to get the window hardware

9. Anthony_S

Anthony_S New Member

This is the fence I found. It's fixed across the back which would be more secure.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sos, window hardware, could be Romb Ltd, Poland.:)

See this link.http://www.romb.pl/en/katalog/

See section 7, page 1.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thanks looks good and very simple. top hinge and window stay in one

12. Dan Riley

Dan Riley New Member

I know this is an old thread but took me a while to work out how to level the table. There are 4 bolts for the outfeed table (the two on the front are under the front shroud). If you loosen these, set the thickness to 0 and lay a level across the table you can get it to level, it's stiff but does have sight movement. There are also 4 bolts (one which is replaced by a locking leaver) for the in-feed table - make sure these are tight too as it can wobble. I took out the locking leaver and just used to bolt.