Titan TTB674TAS Table Saw - Riving Knife

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Kevin GOlding, May 17, 2020.

1. Kevin GOlding

Kevin GOlding New Member

I need to make a replacement riving knife for my Titan TTB674TAS Table Saw, and I wondered if anybody had a drawing of one or would be able to take a picture of theirs, and take some measurement, please?

p.s. have tried to buy a replacement but couldn't find any!

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Yes I can do this for you sometime today - have the table saw in my garage, it’s just a little ‘buried’ at moment as a big garage shuffle around at the weekend ! (Didn’t get finished)

Can take some photos and measurements for you today, no probs Kevin

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

In the meantime, look up Solent Tools Ltd, Southampton and give them a call

Fantastic helpful company that supplies a whole range of spare parts and are super knowledgeable

Although many of these own brand tools such as Titan, are very good for the price, they lack the availability of spare parts, servicing, any technical back up, etc

However, as with the car industry, many brands share generic parts amongst each other and Solent Tools are great at matching one part with another across a range of brands - Titan included as I’ve used them myself for spares

Although there will be no spare parts branded as Titan across the range, the riving knife may well be a generic part that is used amongst some of the known brands as well who generally, have a spare parts service available

Worth a call to Solent Tools

4. Kevin GOlding

Kevin GOlding New Member

Thank you Dave, I'd really like to make my own if possible so a picture/dimensions would be gratefully received :)

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Why would you want to make your own, if something of the shelf as @Diydave has suggested may well be a direct replacement ?

6. Kevin GOlding

Kevin GOlding New Member

I searched for a replacement and couldn't find any online, and I have steel to hand so why not make one?

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Fair enough, you obviously have plenty of time on your hand then.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

0E346838-7CDA-48CF-8B82-071AA4CDE634.jpeg U CEC28441-EEFF-4A33-BE79-27712768C48D.jpeg Hi, sorry for the delay, work and my messy garage got in the way !

I’ve removed the riving knife and will add a couple of pictures

As you will see, it’s a complicated shape so not sure what measurements to take to help you and technical drawing at school
    Was never my thing

Shame as the private message facility has been taken down due to a few members receiving vile abuse, otherwise I would have happily made a cardboard template and sent it to you

What (simple) measurements can I furnish you with that may help - considering drawing a stick man is the limit of my artistic talents :)

9. Kevin GOlding

Kevin GOlding New Member

Thank you Dave, thats's the general outline I needed to get started. If you still have it to hand any chance of putting a tape measure over it and taking a photo? And/or what width are the strips on the worktop and I'll use those to gauge the sizes? And thinking of cutting a card template and then pressing it into the table saw to get an accurate outline :)

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

0DB95647-896C-4D2B-8923-E5CF64A22028.jpeg Well,,,,, here it is ,,,,,,,, my ‘masterpiece’ :)

Took me back to technical drawing classes at school and I dropped those ASAP !

Hopefully this may be of some use to you and just let me know if anything needs clarifying, or you can’t read a measurement or similar

All measurements made with failing eyesight and a stainless steel ruler so no fancy gizmos or digital callipers but I did double check each measurement

Good luck with this
    Update the forum on your progress - will be interesting

11. Kevin GOlding

Kevin GOlding New Member

You are a star! I'll cad this up and share once I've tested it.

There's a couple of measurements I could do with though, the horizontal distance of the slot and the 6mm hole at the bottom of the drawing from the front edge, please?

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No probs Kevin

I’m working from home at the moment, will take a look mid morning at those additional details

13. G Roo

G Roo Member

Op do you know the main function and purpose of the riving knife? If you do then fine...
    ...if you don't then please don't make one
    ... It's not worth the risk of injury for what they cost

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  14. Kevin GOlding

Kevin GOlding New Member

Yes, but thank you for the warning.

15. G Roo

G Roo Member

No worries... carry on then

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

361B88D8-7A74-40A7-9E96-58F54C5443B3.jpeg 694F8082-0044-4351-AB4B-125EC00F5564.jpeg Here you go, some more additional measurements for you to get stuck into !

The hole is off-centre as shown by measurements

The slot slopes and is slightly off vertical, again, hopefully shown by measurements

I’ve added a few other measurements that may also be useful

Looking at the riving knife fitted to machine, not all aspects of its design will have an impact on correct fit and safety I would ‘think’ - but I’m not going to make any exact statements as to what and where

Yes it’s been designed to fit the saw body, closely follow the curve of the blade, allow attachment of the Perspex guard and dust exhaust, and do it’s job to stop the timber from being ‘pinched’ by the blade

In the meantime, I wonder if you tried Solent Tools for a generic replacement ?

Although does sound like your intent on making this from scratch and if you have the skills and tools required - then fair play to you, will be great to see the finished product

17. Kevin GOlding

Kevin GOlding New Member

Thank you Dave, my plan is to make a short version to start with to allow non-through cuts (and yes I'll be adding an alternative guard). I've drawn it up and will cut it out of card for a test fit. Will let you know how I get on.

18. Kevin GOlding

Kevin GOlding New Member

I've managed to draw up a non-through/short version which I'd manufactured and is working perfectly :)

I've attached a 1:1 PDF that can be glued to a piece of 2.5mm steel and cut out. The attached zip file has the FreeCAD file in case it's of use to anyone else, and there's a photo of my finished riving knife which was drilled first. then cut out using an angle grinder and finished off with a file.

DIYDave - thank you for helping me out for the photos and measurements.

Attached Files:

19. Rich77

Rich77 New Member

Hi, I have the same problem with a missing riving knife. I have tried to get a replacement but cannot get one anywhere. If one is fabricated why is that an issue? Thanks

20. kirkdx

kirkdx Active Member

I would imagine fabricating one yourself is an issue itself if you have the time, inclination, materials, etc

Just be aware that the riving knife is one of, if not the most important safety features on a table saw and getting the alignment wrong, measurements, etc could be very dangerous. So, if you are confident in your abilities to get it right I can't see why you couldn't but it certainly wouldn't be the first fabrication project I'd take on