TK brackets near edge of brickwork

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Robert2E0, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Robert2E0

Robert2E0 New Member

Hi all,

I’m putting up 18” standoff brackets with a 15’ pole to hold a 1500mm vertical aerial on top.

Because of the layout of the brickwork the only place to put the top bracket is close to two windows, there will only be one or maybe 1/2 a brick spare either side of the bracket...

There’s another storey of bricks above this point so should be a decent load on the bricks.

Question - is this too close, is there a danger of the bracket dislodging the bricks near the window when the wind pulls on the mast?

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Darn long pole,radio ham:),I say yes, too close to edge, but using Thunderbolts, you might get away with it, they can be used near an edge with risk of damage, & create less stress than a normal wall plug & coach screw.
    The wind loading force of a aerial on a 15' pole can be very high, & can easily do a lot of damage, seen bricks pulled from a wall.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  3. Robert2E0

Robert2E0 New Member

Thanks for the reply, I’ll have a look for those bolts.

Guilty as charged :D

If I space the brackets further apart, I can put the K bracket below the window in the main course and the T between, hopefully that will improve the loading on the wall?

I could get away with a shorter pole if the first storey wasn’t covered in hanging tiles!

Could be worse, I could be putting this up :p

Attached Files:

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Other week on Freecycle there was free 10mtr antenna tilt mast,was so tempted, but you had to dig out the base which had a large amount of concrete to break up,but I have a shoulder injury, so no chance.:(

5. Robert2E0

Robert2E0 New Member

Can’t believe that was on freecycle! Although like you say a lot of work and I guess it could get damaged getting it out.

Thanks for the advice... hopefully I will have base of the 2/70 collinear 4’ above the eaves.... without destroying the brickwork!