To NAF (or any one that Knows)DRY MIX Concrete?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by iprwolf, Jul 19, 2005.

1. iprwolf

iprwolf Member

In reply to another subject, you said use dry concrete between leaves of footings, Im near this stage and just wondering why dry mix, does it allow for settlement or something ? and what mix would you use, as its called many things in many books, 1:3:6 ?
    Many thanks

2. NAF

NAF Member

It is to stop the earth pushing in the foundation cavity. Unlikely to happen unless foundations are very deep and nowerdays you would probalby fill the trench with concrete or use trench blocks.
    A 1:3:6 sounds ok, and after asking a builder it should not be a bone dry mix, just wet. Not sure why I've heard dry in the past.

3. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Its great following your posts naf - You are spot on ol mate.

Water in concrete must be added so as to start the hydration process and spark the constituent parts to bond (via the cement) - 'Dry' is again a badly used term it is in fact a minimum of water so that when you squeeze the mix and release it the mix stays together. Its 'dry' cos it makes less mess and if necessary can be wetted to get it into tricky places and the additional water wont over wet it as if it were a wet mix to start with.

4. iprwolf

iprwolf Member

Many thanks, I get the picture, I just wanted to make sure :)