To tank or not to tank?

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Dyke Pullover, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

Listen gents want to ask you lot as over on the plumpers forum there insist you should tank for a shower cubicle. Surely if you tile correctly and use the correct adhesives and grout you dont need too.

2. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

That was a typing error by the way but P instead of a B, lol :)

3. GKU

GKU New Member

Loz , the conversation was about whether you should tank plasterboard walls in shower areas mate , and yes you should !!!

4. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

You should always tank plasterboard in a shower area. No need to tank aquapanel and no need to tank areas not exposed to shower spray.

5. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

Just tile it *** what do you think everyone did before all this stuff became available.

6. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

..and why do you think so many showers need re-tiling so often?

Remember Loz.

Power showers are a fairly recent ( last 20 years) introduction into UK homes.

The tiling standards needed to cope with them have risen accordingly.

7. GKU

GKU New Member

Loz , I thought your philosophy was that although your new to this game you'd always try to do a job to the best of your abilities , you've been given some good , sound advice by a few people tonight , take it in ;)

8. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

Power shower quality adhesive and grouts will suffice, you only say otherwise cos your a merchant and want more money, as well as liking to be in your sad little gang on here.

Bet your about 5ft 1 brown over coat in your merchants with stock thats got dust all over it, with people coming in for a chat.

9. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

Ok M8 but you lot get on my nerves.

10. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

..and why do you think so many showers need re-tiling so often?

'cause there carp tilers & used carp adhesive & grout.

11. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

Exactly use the proper adhesive and grout on a sound base and if you can read follow the instructions. Wise uncle may be wise after all.

12. GKU

GKU New Member

"'cause there carp tilers & used carp adhesive & grout."

Bit of a blinkered view that one mate :)

13. GKU

GKU New Member

Even the best adhesive & grout is not waterproof , so how do you stop water getting at the plasterboard then ? :O

14. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

In all honesty, how nany non tanked well tiled & siliconed shower cubicles get ripped out due to damp issues on walls. In over 15 years i've not had any problems.

15. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

When it says waterproof on the tub, It means what it says.

16. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

Well I never, isnt that incredible, what if it says waterproof it wont let water through. Would that be the same for H20 as well, just in case any of the plumpers dont understand.

17. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

Example, Wall has been tanked, You use your adhesive & grout which you say is not waterproof. If water gets through your grout & softens your adhesive. your tiles will start popping off the wall, making you look like a carp tiler. Tanking will only protect the wall from any possible water damage.
    But Tiles were designed as a decorative water protection.

18. Dyke Pullover

Dyke Pullover New Member

So when it says waterproof it is also H2O proof and tile are waterproof as well, some thick plumbers out there.

19. GKU

GKU New Member

wise uncle - I think you'll find it says "water <u>resistant</u>" mate , NOT <u>water proof</u> , there is a big difference ;)

20. GKU

GKU New Member

Loz , I am also a Tiler as well bud ;)