toiler cistern fill running on

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bodgitandscarper, Sep 2, 2007.

1. bodgitandscarper

bodgitandscarper New Member

Does anyone know why my newly fitted hidden cistern periodically keeps on filling rather then stop once full. It is the new push button type with integral overflow, ie the excess water goes straight into the pan. I wondered if valve is incapable of handling mains pressure as we have an unvented hot and cold water system.

2. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

I have just moved into a house with the same problem. Modern toliet, and about every 30 mins I can hear it filling. When I looked in the pan there was a slow stream of water flowing down the pan. The valve must be Donald. There is a proper name for this valve I think but basically it does a similar job to a siphon.

3. paaulyb

paaulyb New Member

Check the bottom seal is not damaged or obstructed. Failing that swap it for a decent make.

4. gps

gps New Member

if newly installed usually a bit of silicone stuck to seal most lift out with a quater turn, if been in a while householder putting blu loo tablets in cisten very messy to remove!

5. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Thanks gps, I might have a look tomorrow morning, thankfully the previous plumber fitted an ISO so I won't even have to tie the ball up.

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

either the dump valve has debris etc under it preventing it from closing or the ball valve is faulty and not shutting off - you need to identify which is the problem before you can fix it.

7. bodgitandscarper

bodgitandscarper New Member

Thanks Capt. I took the cistern apart whilst it was running on and found the central section of the 'dump valve' had not gone back down fully so as to shut off the water from emptying into the pan. Haven't taken the valve out/apart yet to see why, but I should be able to sort it now. Ta.

8. stumpy

stumpy New Member

could be a faulty seal if so go to lunns plumbing to identyfy flush valve